RTC or Red Tail Catfish at Fish Story Aquariuma and Rescue

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You have seen them featured prominently throughout many of our videos of the "aggressive" 4500 gal but I realized they have no thread of their own. So here it is.

Ten RTC. 2.5'-3.5'. Three biggest are all males (flat and wide head versus females). Alpha is 3.5' and is missing a second ray in the dorsal - see the screen shot of the video.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

coolcomfort

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
USA
Hey, I could've sworn you said the biggest were females. Maybe I misheard you, but I thought that's what you said in one of your videos. So you're saying the biggest, with the flat and wide head, are males now? That's awesome.

It always interested me why the alpha is missing the second ray in the dorsal. Any idea as to how this happened? Before or after you introduced him to the big tank? I understand these things are random, but maybe you have some insight.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey, I could've sworn you said the biggest were females. Maybe I misheard you, but I thought that's what you said in one of your videos. So you're saying the biggest, with the flat and wide head, are males now? That's awesome.

It always interested me why the alpha is missing the second ray in the dorsal. Any idea as to how this happened? Before or after you introduced him to the big tank? I understand these things are random, but maybe you have some insight.
Yes, I said the biggest I thought were females. wednesday13 wednesday13 and I have been discussing the RTC genders. I used to think the biggest were males but Wed13 has tentatively reversed my opinion.

Alpha has lost the second ray a couple years ago. I didn't witness the event. I was and still am surprised it hasn't grown back. I think half of it is still there.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Wow!!!

great to see how they all get on. You must feed well as all look well fed and I am surprised to see a few cats in there that could easily be dinner for some of the tank mates if they were not happy.
if only it was warmer here in the UK and didn't cost me a ridiculous figure per year just to keep the fishhouse tanks and 1500 gal pond warm - Oh to be even a little bit like you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store