NA/SA Community?

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
Let me preface with it's been like 8 or 9 years since I've had a tank, but I'm getting back into the hobby. I was looking to get back into NA/SA cichlids and just picked up a 125g tank w/ 3 aquaclear 110s. I plan to start with juveniles and then upgrade to a larger tank in a year or so. I'd love to get a Dovii but was hoping if I could grow out a few together for a year or a little longer if I picked them up in the 1"-3" range. Any suggestions if this is even possible? I'm partial to Jaguar, Dovii, Green Terror, Jack Dempsey, Red Tiger Mota to name a few up open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Thinking you are going to have problems before a year is up with the fish on that list. Dovii, jag, RTM in the same tank is going to be bad news, parachromis don't seem to like each other much. One of the parachromis with the red devil and green terror might work for a year. But It is risky. Red devil for instance can grow an inch a month until they are about 10" or so. So, if you got it at 3", you've got a full grown red devil in a year. Green terrors on the other hand grow slower. So the RD will outpace the GT and possibly kill it.
What size were you thinking of for the eventual home?
The dovii, you will probably have to keep as a solo fish once it is an adult. If the dovii is a must, you might want to plan for two tanks.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
For the life of the fish, only one of these should be in a 125 g, Green Terror, Jack Dempsey, Red Tiger Mota.

You could focus on the GT as the main fish, with a bunch of larger tetras as dithers. The jack dempsey could have dithers as well. The RTM may just kill your dithers.

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
Sorry, wasn't clear those are just a list on fish I like not a stocking list. I'd like a group of cichlids or maybe a pair and some ditherd.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store