The return of kieneri....

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
5 years or so was the last Pe kieneri spawn I had the pleasure to raise. My group declined to breed again as I had to move and set up the fish room again. Now I was greeted to a nice treat by the graceful kieneri. I love this fish, it's coloration is so variable.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWfLqS...=/watch?v=bWfLqSwk6zU&feature=em-upload_owner
A little clip of proud momma...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature...top_uri=/watch?v=vZ3ZDJ-9h8Y&feature=youtu.be

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Kudos Jose, looks like their hiatus was helpful. Graceful is the perfect description of these gems. Its incredible how much they darken while in breeding colors! Beautiful videos, thanks for sharing and giving a close up peek.
Saludos,
Laurie

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
How did you raise the spawn? Were they able to survive into adulthood? I'm having trouble raising P. Kieneri spawns and the parents will eat the eggs if left with them.
Wow!! That’s an old video...I am trying to sort out the reason Paretroplines are so difficult to raise the spawns. I believe it is a combination of excessive noise and possibly small quarters. I have been removing eggs because the fish are critically endangered in the IUCN red list.

CichlidLabGirl

Feeder Fish
Feb 18, 2018
Wow!! That’s an old video...I am trying to sort out the reason Paretroplines are so difficult to raise the spawns. I believe it is a combination of excessive noise and possibly small quarters. I have been removing eggs because the fish are critically endangered in the IUCN red list.
How do you raise them once they have been removed? I have had success raising other cichlids by removing the eggs from the parents, but my normal technique has not been successful. The eggs survive, but once they hatch the fry only survive for a few weeks. I would also like to get them to survive because they are on the IUCN red list.

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
How do you raise them once they have been removed? I have had success raising other cichlids by removing the eggs from the parents, but my normal technique has not been successful. The eggs survive, but once they hatch the fry only survive for a few weeks. I would also like to get them to survive because they are on the IUCN red list.
Paretroplines (Paretroplus and Etroplus) are challenging to raise because they will only take live foods after they become free swimming- some people use green water, moina, etc. I have been hatching brine shrimp for a long, long time. I would recommend deencapsulating because fry will get plugged with the empty shells and you’ll have a 50% mortality by the time they are 3 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store