135g Centralish

Netengo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2009
UK
Hi, I sometimes have a tendancy to go on a bit in these things so ill try and keep it brief. A few of you will have seen me wanting to restock my tank with Central Americans after having a South American tank for a number of years. So on Saturday I rehomed my last SA cichlids and on Sunday I picked up 7 Cryptoheros Nanoluteus (I think 3 males and 4 females) and 6 Poecilia Mexicana (Mexican Molly). I also have 2 Annostomus Ternetzi, mainly because I couldnt catch them, but also when I re-looked them up they do great in my tank so I saw no harm, they were part of a much larger group but these 2 are the youngest - only 4 - where as the elders were about 7-9 when they died. I also have 2 older Flagtail Catfish that I didnt want to rehome because of how old they are.

I'm not sure what else to add to the tank. The only other thing I have in mind at the moment is a group of Montazume Swordtails which I think will look good next to the Mollys. I would really like to get either 1 or 2 larger cichlids in there that would be peaceful enough for the Nanoluteus. I was thinking Oscura Heterospila but, I have heard conflicting things about them, especially when kept individualy.

The other thing I was considering was a group of Rheoheros Coerleus which I was nearly able to source and Im sure I would be able to in the future. But looking at my tank at the moment I would prefer a larger species.

As for the scape, the tank is looking a bit too clean at the moment but I had a bit of a tidy up, topped up the sand etc while the tank was a bit empty on Saturday. I want to get some more big branches to come in from the top left corner to match the angle of where the current wood breaks the surface.

I'll hopefully keep this thread updated as the fish grow and as I add fish to the tank.

thanks Andy

IMG_0355.jpg IMG_0364.jpg IMG_0366.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Those are gorgeous nanos! Look bigger than I thought they were going to be, from how you described them. The scape is looking great too man. That big piece of wood is killer.
Will be looking forward to seeing how this ends up!

Netengo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2009
UK
Those are gorgeous nanos! Look bigger than I thought they were going to be, from how you described them. The scape is looking great too man. That big piece of wood is killer.
Will be looking forward to seeing how this ends up!
Thanks :) The biggest male in the bottom pic is the biggest probably 2.5 inches. They are eating really well though so hopefully will pack some size on.

Thanks for all your help in setting this up btw

Reactions: Gourami Swami

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I was thinking Oscura Heterospila but, I have heard conflicting things about them, especially when kept individualy.
My het gets along pretty well with all the different cichlids Ive kept with it but they have all been larger than him. He does hold his own against bigger cichlids but really in no way aggressive. Mine has grown up with a Pearsei, Red bay snook, Regani and had no major issues. Currently just lives with a Pearsei and he will challenge her face to face but nothing more since he is maybe 8 1/2 inhes and she is a good 14 inches.

If he were with smaller smaller cichlids and was top fish... well I really cant say how he would behave but I dont think he would be all that bad.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Great looking nanos.

Maybe consider something like a pair of Hypsophrys nicaraguensis. They are a medium sized, relatively mild mannered species. And once mature, they are certainly centerpiece worthy.

CichlidMASTER_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
Those fish sound great somewhat peaceful obviously you know about cichlid agression maybe have you thought about putting in geophagus they are very peacefull fish and depending on which type you get they are colorfull however most people see them as more of a clean up crew kind of fish, I warn though they do get big up to 13 inches i think they would look great and help keep your tank clean :)

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Just a warning - I have never had luck keeping nanos with any other cichlids. They are pretty peaceful, and just don't seem to thrive when there is stress, in my experience. With cichlid tank mates, they would get out competed for food and would eventually just become sickly and die.

Your tank as it is looks awesome. With the groups of live bearers, and several pairs of nanos, it will be a great tank to watch some natural behaviors. I'd just leave the way it is. Sometimes less is more.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with jonclark96 's advice, leave the tank as is.
Your nano's look great as they are, because adding a large, more dominant cichlid (even a non-aggressive species) could cause them to lose those beautiful colors. There is more to consider than simple aggression when adding a large cichlid, the thing Jon points out, that the mild mannered nano's could easily be out competed for food, for space and dominance could turn their brilliant yellows into a drab grey, is a distinct possibility.

Netengo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2009
UK
Maybe consider something like a pair of Hypsophrys nicaraguensis. They are a medium sized, relatively mild mannered species. And once mature, they are certainly centerpiece worthy.
I did think of Nics originally, they are one of my favourite fish. But I do worry that they would over power the Nanos, the Nanos are so timid! They remind me of something like a Nanacara rather than a type of Cryptoheros. They have gained a bit of confidence over the past 2 days though.

have you thought about putting in geophagus
I've had a lot of geos in the past, at the moment Im trying to focus on fish that do best in my naturally hard water though :)

I have never had luck keeping nanos with any other cichlids
I agree with jonclark96 's advice, leave the tank as is.
I think I agree with you both, I've been really surprised by just how timid these guys are. You have to sit infront of the tank for a minute or two before they come out. They are quite inquisitive though once they are out though.

What else would you think of adding to a tank with them? I really want to track down some central american tetras like a school of Roboides (spelling) I think I may know a guy who can find them (if anyone can find them!). I wish there were a few more CA oddballs that would fit in here like interesting characins or catfish.

I was also wondering about looking into Killifish? I believe there are some that occur in CA countries.

thanks again everyone :)
Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store