Stocking suggestions for 30g Tanganyika tank

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
No neolamps like Richard or puncher could only be a pair because they would destroy the other tank mates when breeding. The caudopunks might be able to be kept along side one other single rock dweller If enough realestate is available . They might add some stress to the multies. If your interested in sumbu dwarves I have seen them online before as altolamprologus "shell"

Reactions: le0p

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
haha I said Richard or puncher..meant N. Brichardi or N. Pulcher

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
haha I said Richard or puncher..meant N. Brichardi or N. Pulcher
Haha! I saw the "Richard" but totally missed the "puncher"

A little update...

I added a few new friends to the tank this weekend. I boosted my shellie colony by 4 (total of 6 now) and it looks like I've got some females finally. One of the older guys is hanging out with a couple smaller fish in his territory, they mostly hang by their shells, I'm thinking these are his ladies now?

I also added some rocks and picked up two julidochromis regani, a male and a female (guy at the store knew how to sex them). I was hoping they'd pair up but while one has staked out some rock territory, the other is basically hiding in the shell bed. Should I be worried about this? It's only been in the tank since Sunday evening and one of them (I believe the one that's hiding) had a hard time adjusting when added to the tank. I turned the flow down and killed the lights for the night and kept an eye on them.. this one seemed better by the end of the night, it was swimming and interacting with the other julie but now it's just crammed in-between some shells, moves occasionally but is not very active.

Here's a pic of where he's at, between the 2nd and 3rd shell from the left, you can see a dark spot in the picture.

IMG_20180219_135046.jpg

Here's a pic of the full set up after adding new rock and more shells. You can see the other Julie in the rocks. Sorry for the reflections, re-decorating that room and it's a mess right now!
IMG_20180219_135022.jpg

Edit: Oh yeah, got a couple synodontis lucipinnis as well, they seem to be doing great.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Looks great!

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Thanks! What do you guys think about that Julie? Should I take any action or see how it plays out?

I'm thinking about putting another small rock outcrop in that area for him, since Multi's have taken claimed half the rock in the tank, but I'm not sure if I can get the rock until this weekend since the closest decent fish store is 1.5 hours from here.

I could also get a breeder tank to separate him for awhile if that would be the best route.

Thomas18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2017
Australia
The thing with Julies is that even though that you have a male a female, that doesnt mean that they will pair up and breed. Even if they where a pair at the shops, the stress of being moved would have most likely broken there bond. they dont form very strong bonds with eachother, thats why it is recomended to get a group of say 6, watch them grow and pair up and then remove the rest.

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
The thing with Julies is that even though that you have a male a female, that doesnt mean that they will pair up and breed. Even if they where a pair at the shops, the stress of being moved would have most likely broken there bond. they dont form very strong bonds with eachother, thats why it is recomended to get a group of say 6, watch them grow and pair up and then remove the rest.
Thanks, I definitely should have gone about it differently for sure. In the end though, I'm OK if they don't breed, I'm just more concerned with keeping him alive at this point.

I'm going to pick up some StressGuard or something similar today and see if that'll help anything.

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Little update on this tank...

I didn't realize Julie's were such jumpers.. I didn't get a lid with the tank (used) and since it's rimless and I never use a lid anyway, I didn't worry about it. Well, both Julie's decided to try their luck on the floor and I can only assume became cat (or dog) food as I couldn't find either in the tank or the house.

So, I had to make an unexpected trip to Philly yesterday and decided to pick up some stuff to DIY a lid and some new stock on the way back. This time, I came back with 4 Dickfeldi's (all they had) who seem to have handled the trip well and are adjusting to the tank much better than the last bunch and yeah, there's a lid now (even though my DIY plans didn't work out, I still got something together to cover it).

I also added some extra rocks last week in anticipation of more julie's, here's a couple pics:
IMG_20180228_193231.jpg IMG_20180228_193215.jpg IMG_20180228_193205.jpg

Reactions: Hendre

Thomas18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2017
Australia
Little update on this tank...

I didn't realize Julie's were such jumpers.. I didn't get a lid with the tank (used) and since it's rimless and I never use a lid anyway, I didn't worry about it. Well, both Julie's decided to try their luck on the floor and I can only assume became cat (or dog) food as I couldn't find either in the tank or the house.

So, I had to make an unexpected trip to Philly yesterday and decided to pick up some stuff to DIY a lid and some new stock on the way back. This time, I came back with 4 Dickfeldi's (all they had) who seem to have handled the trip well and are adjusting to the tank much better than the last bunch and yeah, there's a lid now (even though my DIY plans didn't work out, I still got something together to cover it).

I also added some extra rocks last week in anticipation of more julie's, here's a couple pics:
View attachment 1302234 View attachment 1302235 View attachment 1302236
Thats very interesting that they would jump, well thats good to know for me as i plan on getting some Julies. Better keep the lids on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store