First Polypterus: need advice!

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Hi folks,

I'm an all-round newbie: new to the hobby and the forum. My tank's been set up for two months, its cycled and I'm ready to get some fish. I'd really like to get a Polypterus, probably delhezi or ornatipinnis.

I currently have a 36 long x 18 wide aquarium with about 9-10 inches of water. How fast will either species outgrow this tank? And could it escape if the tank is only half full? i.e. I'll have 8 inches above the water level.

Thanks in advance.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think atleast a minimum would be 12inches of water. The upper jaws have been found more toward the shallow water. Would keep several Senegalus not here. Doubt can jump out if halfway full. Any reason why halfway full? No cover?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Can keep a couple of delhezi, ornate as a growout but they grow fast. I think even at half full the fish can still scape if no lid.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Half full because I initially planned on turning it into an open-top paludarium. I guess I'll have to rethink that if the bichirs can still jump out.

How fast does the ornate bichir grow exactly? Is it true that they grow to about 12" in the first year and then slow down significantly? A 36"x18" tank would be enough for one 12" fish right?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Half full because I initially planned on turning it into an open-top paludarium. I guess I'll have to rethink that if the bichirs can still jump out.

How fast does the ornate bichir grow exactly? Is it true that they grow to about 12" in the first year and then slow down significantly? A 36"x18" tank would be enough for one 12" fish right?
It veries on the fish, i read some get stund after hittting 10” mark, some will just keep on growing, food and clean water are big factor too, space dont matter to this guys.
I had some ornate before that grew from 2” to 9”-10” in 5-6 months but i decided to sell them.
Hao Hao i think had his ornates grow the same speed as mean or maybe faster.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington

I would say no to keeping an ornate in that small of a tank. Its your 1st tank and you have no idea when you'll be able to upgrade. Plus depending on genetics it can outgrow it sooner than 12 months.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I had a 36 x 18 x 24 tank and even with that full I felt like my WC Delhezi would eventually want more room (I rehomed her when she was 10.5".) With only 10 inches of water, especially when you add substrate, land, plants / plant roots really limits the actual swimming space.

I think you'd have to go a lot smaller for species IMO, even taking out the part that polys shouldn't be in an open topped tank.

Are you set on a paludarium?

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Thank you all for your comments.
I won't plan on keeping a Polypterus in the paludarium then. I do have a second tank (same size) that I can house it in. (And I can fill it up to 20"+ deep.)
Is there really no way to keep an ornate in a 36x18 for a year or so? I've fallen in love with the ones at my LFS. =(

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
"Is there really no way to keep an ornate in a 36x18 for a year or so? I've fallen in love with the ones at my LFS. =("

No one can tell you what to do. Only what we "would" do. I dont trust these fish to the point that i used to duct tape my lids closed and tape peices of plexiglass over any openings. So for me keeping a poly in an open tank regardless how low the water is kept is something i wouldnt think about doing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store