what to keep with bleheri

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
If I want to keep a community, do I need to add them all at once or can I just add 2 and then a month later another one? And is 6 bleheri not overstocking?
If I want to keep a community, do I need to add them all at once or can I just add 2 and then a month later another one? And is 6 bleheri not overstocking?
Not at all. Bleheris even a pair need a small tank , so 6 bleheris could be ideal number for your tank. Just keep in mind to add some hiding spots like caves. The pair (female) ll spawn in them and they ll defend it

Reactions: neko1

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Not at all. Bleheris even a pair need a small tank , so 6 bleheris could be ideal number for your tank. Just keep in mind to add some hiding spots like caves. The pair (female) ll spawn in them and they ll defend it
Not exactly true. If a pair forms, they will hunt and kill everything in the tank, not only around their hiding spot. In fact, there remains a chance the male will also kill the female, though it did not happen to me, it almost did with my aurantis.

Reactions: neko1

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Not exactly true. If a pair forms, they will hunt and kill everything in the tank, not only around their hiding spot. In fact, there remains a chance the male will also kill the female, though it did not happen to me, it almost did with my aurantis.
Well bleheris are different tho , bleheris are “community” snakeheads and they ll defend their terittory but they wont kill everybody in tank if you have hiding spots and large vegetation.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Well every fish has its own personality and everytime anything is a bet

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Well bleheris are different tho , bleheris are “community” snakeheads and they ll defend their terittory but they wont kill everybody in tank if you have hiding spots and large vegetation.
I have kept bleheris, had them mate.
They are not community fish at all. I even find them more fragile than other sub-tropical channas when it comes to tankmates. They tend to hide and let themselves die of stress (and starvation).

What I said didn't happen to me was the male killing the female, everything else is from first-hand experience.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Definately some channa species kill even their mates but i think not the bleheris. Well they are fish of course i cant say 100% but in some aricles bleheris be kept in community tanks

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
So adding 6 bleheris is okay. And if they form a couple i can just watch how iT Goes and then either remove the couple or the otherones

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
So adding 6 bleheris is okay. And if they form a couple i can just watch how iT Goes and then either remove the couple or the otherones
I suggest to remove the others instead of couple , because they ll already find their caves and their territory

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
Definately some channa species kill even their mates but i think not the bleheris. Well they are fish of course i cant say 100% but in some aricles bleheris be kept in community tanks
My bleheri managed to kill all 5 of his fellow bleheri tank mates, he would even see his own reflection in the side or the glass and fight with his reflection. He did this whenever he caught his reflection, so quite a lot! I'm sure not all of them are like that, he seemed overly aggressive to me.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Every fish has it’s own personality that’s why we can’t be 100% sure about them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store