Female Auratus with new tank setup

middlman

Feeder Fish
Feb 17, 2018
Michigan
I've been back into the hobby for a couple years now and have been wanting to move into the cichlid direcetion. I've kept convict cichlids before but it's been awhile and want to focus on the african's instead of central american. I just setup a new 75 gallon mbuna tank and my iInitial stocking of the new tank contains 10 demasoni (1") and 6 snow white socolofi (1"). I plan to add additional demasoni (about 6) and either yellow labs or yellow tail acei plus a couple synodontis eupterus.

My question is that I have a 3" female auratus in a 40 long with two purple spotted goby. The goby seem to be holding thier own but I'd like to move the auratus in the new mbuna tank. Is this a wise decision or would I be looking at a masacre? I don't plan on buying anymore auratus at this time from the wild temperment I have heard but am not sure if adding a single female to the mix would be that bad. Also the fact that the current stocking are juveniles and being so small I don't want to sign their death warrant. I'm open to any feedback you have to offer.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Would getting rid of the auratus be an option? It seems you have a well planned out stock, and with the auratus' reputation it would suck if it ruined your setup. If that's not an option you could try it out and see what happens and be ready to pull her if she starts doing damage.

middlman

Feeder Fish
Feb 17, 2018
Michigan
Would getting rid of the auratus be an option? It seems you have a well planned out stock, and with the auratus' reputation it would suck if it ruined your setup. If that's not an option you could try it out and see what happens and be ready to pull her if she starts doing damage.
----
Hi Jim, thanks for the feedback! Yes, that has crossed my mind and you are correct it would not be a good day if she ruined my setup. I really like the auratus but with everything nice there is a price. I have thought about putting her in with the others and see what happens but wanted to see if there was any wisdom/experience out there that would sway me in a direction that would not be costly. I'm leaning towards re-homing the auratus with the LFS and move on.
-Kevin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store