Question: B. Fila diet

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Question - Does feeding a fila with scallop+mussles (2 times a week) does any harm to the fish?

Because I've read that giving to much seafood to tigrinus can have devastating effect eg bloated. Since it is in the same genus, it scared me that they have the same harmful effects. Mine won't take pellets, always the niger have to clean up all the pellets that meant for the fila. Trying to reduce his live feed diet, focus on the frozen stuff.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Is frozen bait fish too expensive where you are?

If it was my piraiba, I'd probably not risk it but then I'd not feed so much crustaceans to any of my fish.

My piraibas, all three, take pellets just fine. I didn't need to train them.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Not expensive. But my fila only 13", there's no bait fish small enough for me to give him. I could however cut the fish into small pieces but he doesn't take em, the water will end up dirty from the blood and stomach juices of the bait fish... Yeah, I guess I could give him cut bait fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Not expensive. But my fila only 13", there's no bait fish small enough for me to give him. I could however cut the fish into small pieces but he doesn't take em, the water will end up dirty from the blood and stomach juices of the bait fish... Yeah, I guess I could give him cut bait fish.
I'd think you have to do the usual weaning off live feeders - not offer it any other feed but only what you want it to take until it takes it. People say chopsticks help them accomplish this faster. I've not tried this trick yet, only used time, and very rarely a bait fish on a thread to entice them. New feed can be offered daily but it needs not be. Every other day or a few times a week would be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store