Bulkhead suggestion

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I'm setting up a new acrylic tank that is bottom drilled. My plan is to add closed bulkheads that I will only open when I need to drain the tank. I want something good quality and that has strainers. Any suggestions on what I should get would be greatly appreciated. Also what kind of sealant would you you recommend?

Thanks

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
20180311_102454.jpg
I'm setting up a new acrylic tank that is bottom drilled. My plan is to add closed bulkheads that I will only open when I need to drain the tank. I want something good quality and that has strainers. Any suggestions on what I should get would be greatly appreciated. Also what kind of sealant would you you recommend?

Thanks
I used a T with strainer for my closed loop, but you could just connect a single strainer to the bulkhead. They also have lower profile ones.

Were you planning on running plumbing on the other end of the bulkhead and add a ball valve and water pump? That will certainly help to drain quiker.

What will you use the sealant for?

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
View attachment 1304049

I used a T with strainer for my closed loop, but you could just connect a single strainer to the bulkhead. They also have lower profile ones.

Were you planning on running plumbing on the other end of the bulkhead and add a ball valve and water pump? That will certainly help to drain quiker.

That looks nice. Yea the plan is to add a valve on the bottom with an adapter so I can attach a hose for draining. All my bio and mechanical filtration is run From the side of the tank. So the bottom holes are strictly for draining. And I was thinking I should add some silicone around the bulkhead. I've never had a tank that was bottom drilled and am worried about potential leaks

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
View attachment 1304049

About how large is the whole piece now? Do you feel like its an eye sore in your tank? I was thinking of doing this but I need it to be about 6in off the substrate probably.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
About how large is the whole piece now? Do you feel like its an eye sore in your tank? I was thinking of doing this but I need it to be about 6in off the substrate probably.
Personally it's not an eye sore for me. I think the smaller the tank the more it would stand out. It's the few plumbing that is exposed on my tank so I'm ok.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Personally it's not an eye sore for me. I think the smaller the tank the more it would stand out. It's the few plumbing that is exposed on my tank so I'm ok.
Yea looks like it blends in well anyway. Btw good job on your filtration. Those rocks look spotless. I have about 20 Pounds of rock that size I stopped using due to always having issues with debris collecting.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yea looks like it blends in well anyway. Btw good job on your filtration. Those rocks look spotless. I have about 20 Pounds of rock that size I stopped using due to always having issues with debris collecting.
Thanks. Well the rocks are fairly clean, attributed to the gold nugget and blue phantom. I do get detritus getting underneath the rocks too. That's where the monthly substrate siphoning comes in. That's the worse part of WC.

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
If you're going to be using a ball valve for opening up the drain line, do yourself a favor and buy a schedule 80 double union ball valve. I have them on each end of my 300 gallon tank that I close for feeding every night. They operate as easily and freely as the day I installed them.

Reactions: mrrobxc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store