sos pond advice

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
sos i have a 300 gallon pond here in ontario, it has been cold recent like -5 there is a deicer in it, but still some fish arent doing well i added to 200 watt aqarium heaters is this safe?

I have been a bit out of it recently from real life personal issues so kinda dont know what im doing, Will sand help the pond also? there is feeder fish in there now. A friend put his weather loach in i think i might take it out. There are cray in there also. Nothing expensive but i wanted to try and make the pond right.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Insulate the outside of the pond. Sand bags, hay bails, foam, whatever you can. And then cover it. Plywood, tarp, heavy duty plastic, ect. It will keep the heat in.
I don’t know what you mean by will sand help? As substrate? No. I would not add that.
I’m afraid this is why I said to wait. Fish that haven’t been slowly conditioned to survive outside don’t do well being tossed out in my experience.

Example: My koi that nearly died a couple of weeks after I got them when temps dropped below freezing are currently swimming around doing great nearing the end of their first winter outside.
I’m currently holding three koi inside because I know tossing them out right now could kill them because they didn’t have the advantage of being outside as the temps slowly decreased in the fall.

Do what you can to insulate the pond. Then you have two options. Bring the fish in till the outside temps stay above freezing. Water temps at or above 50F would be more ideal for adding fish.
Or hunker down doing what you can to keep them out and what happens, happens.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just make sure your pond doesn't completely ice over,there should always be a hole in the ice for gases to escape and oxygen to enter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store