Please help my poor Oscar!!

Biglou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
I just came home from work and see a golf ball sized lump on the side of my 2 year old Oscar I don't know what the problem could be... I just did a water change yesterday, I can't really see this being something in the water.. almost looks more towards the rib cage and not the stomach. I'm very concerned, he was my first SA cichlid. Background on the tank... 125g 6 footer, well filtered (just fed them so it's a little cloudy in the pic) with another Oscar, young flowerhorn, and a parrot. He's the king of the tank and nobody messes with him. Maybe he slammed into one of the rock decorations? I'm really confused, he doesn't even look distressed. Please help!

Biglou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
I'm having a hard time uploading pictures. Hopefully this helps

20180312_232025.jpg 20180312_231941.jpg 20180312_231915.jpg

Biglou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
In those bottom 2 pictures, his body is straight... almost looks like he is turning right but that is the lump

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It could be a tumor. Especially being one sided. If so then a vet would be in order if any attempt to treat. That thing looks deep and not superficial.

If it’s a collection blood or fluid from trauma then it should hopefully reabsorb.

If not looking to go that route, a vet. Then leave alone and watch. Especially if it’s eating and acting normal.

Biglou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
Ty for the reply, do you think a tumor that size could essentially grow in 10 hours?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Ty for the reply, do you think a tumor that size could essentially grow in 10 hours?
If you can afford a vet, then I would look into that first. If not, and you can get medication today, I would treat as if it were a bacterial infection. I would try with Seachem Kanaplex first since it can be absorbed through the skin.

Biglou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
Oh good, I have kanaplex already I'll use that.. just called around to the 2 vets near me, no one will touch a fish lol having a huge snowstorm anyway so they are closing right now

Biglou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
My isolation tank is down, how can I treat him without the carbon from my filters eliminating the meds, turn the filters off for a bit and just recirculate with my pumps?

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Could be a bowel obstruction or some kind of fluid build-up but that would be more symmetric. A tumor can't grow that fast. If it's a bowel obstruction you probably don't want to keep feeding.

Look for vets here. If that doesn't help, try calling exotics vets in your area and ask if they know anyone who sees fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store