300 gallon stocking

TThomas

Feeder Fish
Mar 13, 2018
Hi I’m new to MFK and I was wondering if I could have any more tank mates in my 300 gallon tank. I have a silver arowana, three kelberi peacock bass and an Oscar. I was thinking about a clown knife or a tiger shovel nose. Thanks and would love to hear suggestions.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally wouldn't add the Clown Knife because when mature your 300 will start to look small also the Redtail will outgrow the aquarium. If you decide to add the Clown Knife plan to upgrade or rehome.

Last edited:

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Your already overstocked once they all grow tbh, if you insist a large Lima shovelnose and african brown knife would be better options.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
When clown knifes get big they will start to fight with certain fish..You better start thinking of a way to feed that arrowana away from the peacock bass. The bass are such pigs it actually becomes a challenge. The ones I had would just hold all the food in their mouths.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
At some point a upgrade is definitely needed whether you add a fish or not. If adding fish then more real estate is needed. Do hope that happens as well as increasing ur filtration.

My recommendation would be to go with smaller cats like the vultures, Limas, juruense, etc. if ur choosing a catfish. You can still add a tsn but make sure u got the space.

If adding a clown knife it should be fine. Other knives to think about are notopterus notopterus. Smaller and much easier on ur bioload. Would skip the brown knives as they stay too small and will be a meal for pbass and other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store