Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks! I feel like I'm going in...a circle.:)
Cool looking cats, but not enough room in my tank.
As I state in my thread, my guy quit growing a long time ago. It's been at 6" for many months, perhaps half a year now.

I am pretty sure it is not a large growing catfish. Not Pinirampus pirinampu. I believe it won't reach a foot ever.

I know your dilemma - the unknown can be exciting but one aims to be responsible too. I'd make a backup rehoming plan and get them. Speaking if which, you can count on me taking them in if ever they outgrow your tanks. I'll pay half the shipping if they arrive live and healthy. Just a thought.

Last edited:

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
These fish continue to puzzle me...It's quite possible the name "jumper cat" is given to a whole host of smallish pimelodids and/or heptapterids that can't be readily assigned to known species. The proportions of this fish seem very similar to Exallodontus.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Last time I heard the name it was assigned to flatwhisker catfish,but I've seen a bunch of catfish called jumping catfish,it is likely a rough translation as all of the fish labeled as "jumping catfish" are apparently new world species.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
As I state in my thread, my guy quit growing a long time ago. It's been at 6" for many months, perhaps half a year now.

I am pretty sure it is not a large growing catfish. Not Pinirampus pirinampu. I believe it won't reach a foot ever.

I know your dilemma - the unknown can be exciting but one aims to be responsible too. I'd make a backup rehoming plan and get them. Speaking if which, you can count on me taking them in if ever they outgrow your tanks. I'll pay half the shipping if they arrive live and healthy. Just a thought.

Thanks for the offer! I'm going to pass on them. The spotted and ornate pictus have established themselves in the tank with my rays. Probably shouldn't add any more at this point. Hopefully someone will give the jumpers good home.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store