Emergency 911

Mavyash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Sorry guys for not replying!! actually he died on 9 march!!..i was just upset...and wanted to quit this hobby!!..bt then i thought i just cant leave my passion!!..so back again!!.. anyways thanxxx all of you for your replies and support!!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Sorry to hear about that. I would do some research and make sure you understand basics like the nitrogen cycle, might avoid this happening again. I would also probably not go for EBJDs, as you can probably tell they are genetically weak.
Good luck

Reactions: Jexnell

Mavyash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Yeah i read about them!!..found they have very week in terms of genetic!!!anyways since i needed a some cheering!!i just bought a 7.5inch RED FRONTOSA!!!...please guys have a look and if possible expert advice too!!

IMG_20180313_235809.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Fish looks nice. Is this the same tank, and is this tank cycled? Have you done any research on frontosa before buying this guy, or just saw him and liked him?
For us to give any advice at all on keeping him healthy, gonna have to answer some simple questions man.

Reactions: skjl47

Mavyash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Yeah this tank is cycled!!...and the whole tank has been working for 6 months now..the only thing in tank left is the sand!!..other fishes are also doing well!!.. currently the stockings are-
Mango oscar
Tiger oscar
Albino oscar
Buttikoferi
Female flowerhorn
Veja Argentea
Moori(blue dolphin)

Mavyash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
I have done some homework on frontosa!!..since blue zaire frontosa are very expensive!!..i thought buying red frontosa for now is a good option!!i have been seeing this frontosa for about 3 months in my lfs display tank!!and he was good!!so i just bought it!!.. currently my tank is 120 gallon with a 17 gallon sump!!..with lots of rocks and caves and driftwoods too!!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Oh man... that's quite a stock list. No way that's going to work for long. Buttikoferi are really crazy aggressive, as are argentea and flowerhorns. Your Oscars, moori, and frontosa are much less aggressive, and won't be able to stand up to the others if threatened. In only a 120g, its not if they are attacked, it's when. Also, your fish thrive in different water types. Most are adaptable, but generally Oscars like lower pH, softer water, and the rest of your fish like harder water with a higher pH. This is not as important as the tank size, but still a consideration.

Are you planning on getting a 300+ gallon tank in the next three months or so?

Don't want to rain on your parade man, but you need to do some reading on these types of fish.

Mavyash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2017
Yeah...i have dealt with lots of fights among argentea and flowerhorn and the torture my albino oscar have suffered!!..but then my lfs suggested me to use a very high power wave maker inorder..to get them away from fights...and its worked!!..since then all my oscars now good and healthy infact they have attained 2.5-3 inches in length since then!!..now comes the hard part!!..ph!!..i have been contently trying to maintain the ph at 7.5...till now its fine...rest i have not thought about getting a new tank now..cuz currently i m concentrating my mind on salt water aquarium!!..

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Wave maker will do nothing for aggression. Perhaps if you have the current so strong that they have to spend all their time swimming against the current, they will be too tired to fight... not a good solution! I would not listen to anything they say at that LFS, they do not know what they are talking about.
Your fish are going to kill each other in that 120 quickly, I can guarantee it. Large cichlids are hard to get to live together peacefully even in a big enough tank. You have a bunch of large-growing aggressive species in a tank that is only suitable for maybe one or two fish of this size. Not going to work out man! Sell your fish and do research on the web, this will be very bad situation for every fish except whichever one ends up being dominant. A battle-royal style setup like this is very cruel.
I don't think you mean to do this, I think you just didn't know better... but now you do, You should really do something about this setup before they all kill each other.

Reactions: Jexnell

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
my lfs suggested me to use a very high power wave maker inorder..to get them away from fights
This isn't a solution.

Flowerhorns are usually kept alone as they tend to kill all their tank mates when they hit maturity. Buttis are as bad.
Your EBJDs could well have died from the stress of being bullied by those fish.

I suggest you read up on each of your fish on this forum and also ask questions here, rather than at your LFS. Most LFS employees have little experience with keeping and growing fish and will give half baked suggestions. Many of us here have kept these fish and are more aware of the problems as we have all made similar mistakes in the past and learnt from them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store