Growing Mangroves

Kielan

Feeder Fish
Mar 6, 2018
Hey guys! Im from Australia and no one really grows mangroves over here, for those of you who have had success growing them very fast! What fertilisers do you recommend? Also is algae a big problem when they get around the roots? Mine float from a raft in brackish water

I also need assistance, I have found recently the bottom of my red mangrove roots like the very tip is a dark brown or black, what does this mean and is it fixable?

Post pictures of your mangrove prop roots set up!!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
There used to be one member here who had red mangroves in a mud skipper tank... cant remember his name unfortunately but maybe if you do a search you'll have some luck and find him...

Coz honestly not sure many people here grow brackish plants...

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Well for long term success plant the mangroves in mud or clay,it should also be noted they can grow in freshwater or even on land if there is sufficient rainfall or watering

Kielan

Feeder Fish
Mar 6, 2018
Okay sweet! Iv managed to get roots Up to an inch on some but I have a lot of algae hair around them, since I got algae hair haven’t seen the roots grow since for the last 2 weeks and noticed black tips does algae suffocate the plant? And also I want that prop root system, so if I was to send about a half an inch of root into the mud will the plant starting growing taller and will I have to bring the roots slow up out of the mud more as they grow longer in mud?

The photos there the one with them on the raft and with the close only showing 3 with roots in the light is recent since algae bloom I have had these for 3 months now the one with all them showing with roots was just before the algae really got around the roots, the ones with hardly any roots they haven’t grown much roots since.

35E9B880-9698-402E-9C52-A72D9314418C.jpeg 8E4CEFFC-E339-40FE-B820-02E64C6D6DFA.jpeg C1411752-B057-4398-A9A2-BFEA77939195.jpeg

Reactions: J. H.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Im wondering if hydrogen peroxide would work in eliminating the algae issue and maybe help you get some progress back, only problem is i dont know if it will effect the mangroves or if brackish water effects how well it will perform???

Kielan

Feeder Fish
Mar 6, 2018
I’ll have a look into that man! I have just put some Molly’s in and they love algae and brackish water! 3 days it took and this morning hardly any algae! So happy!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
There used to be one member here who had red mangroves in a mud skipper tank... cant remember his name unfortunately but maybe if you do a search you'll have some luck and find him...

Coz honestly not sure many people here grow brackish plants...
Madou Madou ?

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Madou Madou ?
Could be??? Honestly cant remember coz it was a few years back...

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Still need some nutrient filled substrate,most young mangroves sprout at the water line where they are mostly on land so if u want to place in a tank u should make a sort of island area

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If you want prop roots to grow you have to plant the roots in soil/substrate of some sort like Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 said. There is a point on the mangrove that if you plant it and that part is below the waterline it will also put up the air tubes (I can't remember what it's called).
I had them in my salt system I tried them many times got one to prop with 2 roots and grow three branches before I shut my system down. I hope but doubt it's still alive. I had it potted in a grow basket full of aragonite and sand and in a 55g drum so the water was about 3" over the substrate.

Reactions: Kielan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store