Why are my red belly piranhas not growing???

Subielyfe

Banned
May 30, 2017
I was wondering if anyone might know what is wrong with my piranhas?

So I have ordered red belly piranhas twice from aquascapeonline both times I ordered 10 red belly piranhas. The first order was the first week of December 2015 and then the second order was December 6, 2016.

The piranhas from the first order we're 1”-1.25” when I got them and now after about 27 months they are between 7 ¾” - 8 ½” long and I still have 7 of the 10.

The piranhas from the second order was .5”- 1” when I got them but now 17 months later they are only 3 ¼” and 3 ½” long and I only have 2 of the 10.

And I'll be honest when I got them I did not know very much about them except how they are supposed to be killers and really mean fish. But know I like them more because I like to try to figure what that are trying to tell each other by how they move or how they are acting. And after 27 months I realized and learned that almost everything I did with my order of piranhas was completely wrong according to the internet.

First order:

Tank was a 85 gallon for 8 of them until about 4 months ago now 150 gallon for 7 of them.

Temp: I never paid attention to it I know it was warm but that's about it . Now I keep it at about 80°

Ph: did not ever check it now between 6-7

Water changes: when the water was nasty which would of been about 1 ½ months I'd take them out put them in a bucket and completely clean the whole tank and put all new media in the external filter. Now weekly and only 10%- 20%

Never tested or had the water test. Now weekly test

Diet: feeder fish mostly and raw chicken nothing else. Now it still the same I've tried to get them to eat other things and they wonts,

Second order:

Tank: 55 gallon for 2 one 3 ¼” and the other one 3 ½”

Temp: I try to keep it right around 80°

Ph: I try to keep it right around 6-7

Water changes: weekly 10% - 20%

Test the water: weekly

Diet: mostly flakes or pellets and fruits and vegetables and blood worms and then sometimes I give may once a week I'll give them raw chicken and I rarely give them feeder fish.

So from what I learned the last few years I have done everything right with the second order so I don't understand why my 17 month old piranhas are the size of a normal 3 to 4 month old piranhas.

First picture is of one of my piranhas from the first order last 3 pictures is of the two from my second order and just to give you a idea of size they are in a net breeder for the picture
20180315_014543.jpg 20180315_014836.jpg 20180314_212907.jpg 20180314_213451.jpg

Any input would be appreciated thank you in advance.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The biggest problems I see is.
1. Do 50% water changes every week.
2.If feeding live you must quarantine first or your putting your fish in danger of parasites or bacterial disease.
3.Don't feed raw chicken thawed fish is the best option. Also getting them to eat pellets would be a safe option also.

Water changes and the right foods will improve growth.:)

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
Probably bc of the size differences, the little ones probably have less of a chance to eat abundantly. Most likely all the food is getting feasted on by the bigger pygos but thats just be two cent. Also keep the diet to white fish fillets and/or other crustaceans low in sodium.

Reactions: tlindsey

Subielyfe

Banned
May 30, 2017
The biggest problems I see is.
1. Do 50% water changes every week.
2.If feeding live you must quarantine first or your putting your fish in danger of parasites or bacterial disease.
3.Don't feed raw chicken thawed fish is the best option. Also getting them to eat pellets would be a safe option also.

Water changes and the right foods will improve growth.:)
For the little piranha don't really get live food I think maybe in the 17 months that I have had them I have gave them live food maybe 4 or 5 times they eat mostly pellets or flakes and fruits and vegetables and then chicken they get maybe once a week to once every other week and on the big piranha we have tried to change what they eat and that's when we end up losing one of the piranha

Subielyfe

Banned
May 30, 2017
Probably bc of the size differences, the little ones probably have less of a chance to eat abundantly. Most likely all the food is getting feasted on by the bigger pygos but thats just be two cent. Also keep the diet to white fish fillets and/or other crustaceans low in sodium.
I only have the 2 small piranha in a 55 gallon tank no other are in the with them. And so white Fish is better for them than pellets or flakes and fruits and vegetables

DarthRhom

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2006
New Jersey
See if they'll take some beefheart. It's not the healthiest diet but it puts on size.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Do bigger and More waterchanges and give them a mixed diet of :tilapia pieces,some trout pieces,shrimp,ghost shrimp,crickets/grasshoppers,earthworms and maybe some pellets

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
A pygo tank requires planning, a BIG tank up front, and all the fish purchased at once so that they can go about thinning themselves out, establishing pecking order, etc. and get it over with, any time you introduce new fish after the fact, carnage can be expected. Keeping shoals of pygos is not for beginners. It requires experience, dedication and finances, as the very large tanks required to do it right (think 200 gallons or more) are rather pricey.

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
I haven' had any Ps for awhile. So take this like a grain of salt.

1st. I would not house 2. I would go 3 or more. They need a pecking order. They are very social, and their is power in numbers. Ps are pretty wimpy unless in a decent group. RBs anyway. My black was solitary and seemed to be as mean and cold hearted as my common wolf I had. Man he was bold!!

2nd. Don' take them out with wc or cleaning tank. Perform bigger more frequent water changes. Keeps it clean and keeps hormone levels down in the water promoting growth (just my opinion)
Removing them creates such a tremendous amount of stress, but I am sure you figured that out. They are skittish to begin with.

3rd. Feed fish more often than chicken or red meats. I tried to stray away from feeders as they can carry disease and get expensive. Most are pretty poor on nutritional value if we are speaking of goldfish. You could soak in vita supplements once a week or stuff small chunks with mini pellets as tilapia is kind of bland. That helped with the coloration on mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Feeding:
Pellets as a staple, shrimp, tilapia.

Water changes: at least 50% weekly, as stated above.

Temp: Good 80 is great

Maybe provide a waterhead for current? They enjoy the exercise.

Is your 150 gallon a tall or a long? They need a tank with a large footprint, not large height.

Speaking of your 55 gallon: Generally, the rule for pygos is 1, 3, or more in a single tank. Not 2. But since they are doing okay and you're fine risking it then oh well.

As long as you stick with the water changes and have a diet similar to the diets posted here, you should see them growing.
1 inch per month until they reach 6", then one inch per year after that.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store