Tank Upgrade 450-550g Planning

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I want to buy already large plants like you did. I do not want to spend time trying to grow them. Too much time and effort.

Do you know what I need to look for in flood lights? Specific lumens, type of light, etc?

The other big thing I am worried about and did not mention algae. My tank is near a window and suffers from algae. I plan on putting up curtains for the new tank. Wont running flood lights like these create a ton of algae?
It’s all about balance. The main thing you have to balance is lights and nutrients.

The more light, the more nutrients you need or you’ll have an imbalance where algae can take over. Since your not doing ferts or co2, cover your windows and control how much lighting you get.

I would go with husky pendant LEDs from Home Depot that I posted. Not sure if you saw that. Proof of concept is in that photo.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
mrrobxc mrrobxc Saw the pic. The reason I am not interested in the Husky lights is that this tank will be in my family room and I am trying to make it a show tank. I can't have a pair of husky lights sitting on the top. I will take a look at the specs and see if I can find similar lights that are more "presentable".

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
You can always create a canopy to house them. For aesthetics. You can’t beat kessil.

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
mrrobxc mrrobxc Saw the pic. The reason I am not interested in the Husky lights is that this tank will be in my family room and I am trying to make it a show tank. I can't have a pair of husky lights sitting on the top. I will take a look at the specs and see if I can find similar lights that are more "presentable".
I'd suggest an Aqua Illumination Prime HD light, there is a freshwater and saltwater version and it covers a 24x24 in square with 55 watts of LED. It's very reasonably priced for the features it comes with like fully controllable spectrum, schedules, storms right from your smart phone. You can link multiple lights together and basically set and forget your lighting schedule. I got one for the tank I recently set up and I love it. I previously had a Kessil (reef light) which was truly awesome but expensive and a DIY high powered LED with a storm controller, which was nice and reasonably priced but broke and I couldn't fix it, still waiting to offload that one to someone with electronics knowledge.

The AI prime costs 200$ plus mounting options and looks great on the tank. I run one on a 16" deep 30 gallon at 19% power. They also sell larger models with these same features, just more expensive.

If I had a choice to light any tank Kessil would be my first choice (if I had the money for the lights and a controller) and now the AI would definitely be a close second, if not tied due to the value.

Reactions: nzafi and mrrobxc

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
L le0p thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Quick update. Got the first round of tank drawings by the manufacturer. Have some changes to make to it:
- Get rid of the larger hole in the corners. This was a return for the ultima, but will move to over the back. Having it there just takes too much space.
- Create three holes for 3/4in returns along the top. Forgot to communicate this.

Really hoped to hide returns behind the corner HMF but there just isnt enough room to fit a powerhead or pump then. I would be forced to jetlifters which I think is too restrictive. Either move the returns to over the back or increase HMF filter size.

Nikos Aquarium Top Off.jpg Nikos Bottom Detail Entire.jpg Nikos Bottom Detail.jpg Nikos Bulkhead Hole Size.jpg Nikos Entire.jpg

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
JK47 JK47 any thoughts?

Anyone else?

Also thinking of splitting two of the returns. The third hole will be for wires instead of a return.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 any thoughts?

Anyone else?

Also thinking of splitting two of the returns. The third hole will be for wires instead of a return.
Over the back all day long IMO. Simplicity keeps plans moving forward.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Tank is finished and ready for shipping. You can see the supports I had them insert for the HMF, plus access holes. I am getting lexand covers for lids. I have asked them to ship it out early next week as I need to make space over the next week. Should have it the first week of July. Very excited.

JK47 JK47 mrrobxc mrrobxc

20180521_170037.jpg 20180521_170048.jpg 20180521_170108.jpg

Reactions: mrrobxc and JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Tank is finished and ready for shipping. You can see the supports I had them insert for the HMF, plus access holes. I am getting lexand covers for lids. I have asked them to ship it out early next week as I need to make space over the next week. Should have it the first week of July. Very excited.

JK47 JK47 mrrobxc mrrobxc

View attachment 1316147 View attachment 1316148 View attachment 1316149
Congrats! What a feeling for brand new acrylic! Exciting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store