Moving Big Fish

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
so I’m getting all of the supplies that I need to move my Oscars, red Texas and Green Terror this May and would like some advice. I have seen pillowcases used, but I think that would be difficult in my tall tank.
My Oscars are 12-13” and will get me and the surrounding areas soaked during the move. Should I go get a fishing net from Cabellas?
I am also planning on transporting them in a Rubbermaid tote. It will only be about 20 minutes point to point so I think a battery powered bubbler should suffice.
Can anyone think of anything else that I might need or that could make it easier.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I saw someone on here say they use plastic garbage bags. I think I’ll do that when I need to move my koi outside this spring. The bigger of the three is just shy of a foot. I did not expect them to get so big so fast.

Reactions: jhook and tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I saw someone on here say they use plastic garbage bags. I think I’ll do that when I need to move my koi outside this spring. The bigger of the three is just shy of a foot. I did not expect them to get so big so fast.
Some garbage bags contain toxic resins,use a large plastic container instead,u may need help lifting depending on size of fish/container.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
As long as they are the unscented kind and nothing fancy, wouldn’t it be fine? It would only be for a minute tops. I’m not suggesting fish be transported in them. I just ment, and thought it was just suggested to be used as a way to safely lift them out of the tank and into a tub for transportation.

Reactions: jhook

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
Didn’t think of just using containers to scoop them out. Good idea. I’ve got the sump for the new tank built and will start it up about 6 weeks ahead of the move. I plan on bringing some of the media and seeding the new sump. I’ll add fish food into the tank every few days to keep the B.B. fed.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Just buy a decent net and net them And put in a container. Twenty min journey is nothing don't worry about an air pump!

Although they are big they are not 'big' by most standards on here! But yes you will get wet, can't stop that

Reactions: jhook
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store