White spot

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
how long will white spot stay in aquarium if there are no fish or plants isnide tank? When it ll be safe to add new fish?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
how long will white spot stay in aquarium if there are no fish or plants isnide tank? When it ll be safe to add new fish?

Personally I would just break down the aquarium or raise temperature and add salt let set for atleast a month or more if you didn't plan on removeing the substrate or any ornaments. Are you going to use bio media from another aquarium for cycling again?

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Not really it is just a general questin , i have a super agressive snakehead inside and i added a jag.. the jag is stresed (or dead) now i have closed lights atm.. i m thinking if jag ll catch any infection thats why i ask in general

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Not really it is just a general questin , i have a super agressive snakehead inside and i added a jag.. the jag is stresed (or dead) now i have closed lights atm.. i m thinking if jag ll catch any infection thats why i ask in general

Ok

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Without fish up to 72 days depending on life cycle from what I remember.

Reactions: tlindsey

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Without fish but with protozin? Like 9 days?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The tomont stage.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Hypothetically...
Lets say there are 100 ick phages in the tank, without fish, 98 or 99 will die without fish after a short time.
But there is always a chance that 1 or 2 individuals of this simplistic animal are programed to wait dormant for a certain amount of time, could be 3 months, could be 3 years.
It is impossible to know, because finding 1 ick protozoa in any (even moderate) amount of water, is nearly impossible.
How does ick pop up in a desert pool of killifish that has been dry for 6 months or a year, but fills when the rainy season begins?
There is not enough research out there to determine the possibility of that kind of survival strategy.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
I am saying all this because hypotheticly if my fish (jaguar) have (IF) ick tomorrow i cant have a new fish in the tank. The fish which i want to purchase costs 2 grand and it will be placed in this tank, alone

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Personally I would just break down the aquarium or raise temperature and add salt let set for atleast a month or more if you didn't plan on removeing the substrate or any ornaments. Are you going to use bio media from another aquarium for cycling again?
How does ick pop up in a desert pool of killifish that has been dry for 6 months or a year, but fills when the rainy season begins?
There is not enough research out there to determine the possibility of that kind of survival strategy.
The fish which i want to purchase costs 2 grand and it will be placed in this tank, alone[/QUOTE]

Hello; I would clean the tank and it's equipment with something like Clorox and start over. If you have some bb available to jump start then back in business soon.
Hello; If I had another disease/parasite free tank from which to seed the bb and jump start a cycle, then I would sterilize the tank in question with all the equipment and start over. For a two grand fish I would anyway, might not for a $1,995 fish. (humor)(???)
While I am not absolutely sure that a Clorox solution will do the trick, that is where I would put my efforts. I have done so on a few tanks and the tank can be back in operation fairly soon. The tricks are to rinse everything well, have some prime/safe around the treat the Clorox residue in the new setup and have some bb loaded material so the cycle can be jumpstarted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store