Need some input...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hey everybody. I'm in need of some opinion

I have two goldfish in a 45-gallon tote outside, had them for about 3 years now since a now-defunct aquaponics project. They're about 5-6" and haven't been getting the care they need since it's really out of the way and school has been super hectic for me. They don't really seem to be growing anymore and are slightly thin.

What I have been wondering about is if I can't move them inside. I have a 15-gallon tank open and empty right now, a Tetra ex600 that's needing setup and plenty of aeration equipment. With bi-weekly water changes and sufficient filtration would you guys think this is okay for care? My API kit is arriving soon so water parameters will be checked to make sure it's in order.

What do you guys think? Any concerns?
It's a smaller tank, but in my room where I can keep an eye on them and make sure they're fed.

Please give me some critique and ideas guys

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everybody. I'm in need of some opinion

I have two goldfish in a 45-gallon tote outside, had them for about 3 years now since a now-defunct aquaponics project. They're about 5-6" and haven't been getting the care they need since it's really out of the way and school has been super hectic for me. They don't really seem to be growing anymore and are slightly thin.

What I have been wondering about is if I can't move them inside. I have a 15-gallon tank open and empty right now, a Tetra ex600 that's needing setup and plenty of aeration equipment. With bi-weekly water changes and sufficient filtration would you guys think this is okay for care? My API kit is arriving soon so water parameters will be checked to make sure it's in order.

What do you guys think? Any concerns?
It's a smaller tank, but in my room where I can keep an eye on them and make sure they're fed.

Please give me some critique and ideas guys
I think that's great to be concerned about the goldfish well being and to bring them in for proper care. Hopefully you can find someone who could take them off your hands due to your busy school schedule.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think that's great to be concerned about the goldfish well being and to bring them in for proper care. Hopefully you can find someone who could take them off your hands due to your busy school schedule.
Will the set up work do you think? A 15 gallon?

People are all selling out their fish and tanks right now, a new home would be difficult to find. Until I find a nice plastic container my parents will let me put near the patio I'll have problems...

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Will the set up work do you think? A 15 gallon?

People are all selling out their fish and tanks right now, a new home would be difficult to find. Until I find a nice plastic container my parents will let me put near the patio I'll have problems...

With the Bi-weekly wc's they will be fine until you get something bigger to place them in.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
People are all selling out their fish and tanks right now,
Hello; I guess this is because of the drought??

I know this will not be popular but with the water problems you face along with a 15 being small, there is the choice to put them down. I get that some will never get their head around how putting a fish down as cleanly as possible can be preferable to life in such a small tank.
You may be phost phoning the inevitable if the 15 gallon is used, at least in terms of the drought. At twice a week you will need 70 to 80+% WC which is 16 gallons or more a week. That is a daily survival ration for 16 people in terms of water.

We put down injured or sick fish. Many of us cull poor quality fish in our breeding projects and so on. You are getting up against it with the water supply. Some problems have serious implications beyond the emotional. I will not think less of you if you take this path.
I do make a suggestion and that is do not post here if you do decide what may be the more mature path.

Go back to the many posts and threads where so many have stated that a single gold fish needs at least 70 gallons of water. What ever you do, do not release them into the wild.

Anyway good luck and maybe some one will have a different clever suggestion.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Why not just move the tote to a more appropriate, easier to service location? I'd only use the 15g for a very temporary solution.

FWIW, I keep 4 goldfish in a 55g. 1 regular comet, 1 shubunkin, 1 sarasa and 1 fancy. The plain comet and fancy are 3-4yrs old. I can keep nitrates not to exceed 20ppm with one fin level WC per week so far. If/when it gets out of control, I'll try to rehome.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Why not just move the tote to a more appropriate, easier to service location? I'd only use the 15g for a very temporary solution.

FWIW, I keep 4 goldfish in a 55g. 1 regular comet, 1 shubunkin, 1 sarasa and 1 fancy. The plain comet and fancy are 3-4yrs old. I can keep nitrates not to exceed 20ppm with one fin level WC per week so far. If/when it gets out of control, I'll try to rehome.
Been trying, definitely going to try and bring up the topic again. And maybe offer to make it at least look decent and queit... Parents objected before which gives me the issue. It's difficult to service there which is what brings me to this

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

Hello; I guess the drought and so many shutting down their tanks will make it hard to re-home for Hendre. Yes the 15 gallon will not do for long is also my take.

Interesting the way conditions are so different around the world. I am getting too much rain so far this year. Several inches above already for the year over the plenty we normally get. Go figure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store