Perch tank

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I have a couple the same size from Jonahs too. Once they get used to the tank which was about 5 days they get very active. All over the place not shy and really do eat everything. Mine eat pellets,minnows,blood worms you name it.
Great to hear, mine were always very shy, but they were wild caught.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Fed them some 30 roseys on Sunday and as you can imagine they were gone in the blink of an eye. All fish really warmed up to the tank and seem comfortable. Unlike other walleye that I’ve read up on mine seem to be super active during the day time. They peak around dusk when the sunlight stops coming in my front bay window. Next step is to begin getting the tank planted.

D1968B1E-4D06-4EFE-A687-6D36B237E9B3.jpeg

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Up until yesterday I was feeding strictly roseys. I bought frozen blood worms yesterday along with another 3 dozen roseys and fed them both. All minnows disappeared quickly and surprisingly the walleye willing took the blood worms no problem. I have a video but no clue how to upload.

88420F7B-33B9-47CF-B045-D3B74EC95FC7.jpeg D4AF89F1-5033-40CA-ADAA-C6C1CBB35082.jpeg

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Up until yesterday I was feeding strictly roseys. I bought frozen blood worms yesterday along with another 3 dozen roseys and fed them both. All minnows disappeared quickly and surprisingly the walleye willing took the blood worms no problem. I have a video but no clue how to upload.

View attachment 1305217 View attachment 1305218
Nice wally,a fish that like many North American natives doesn't get enough thought in aquaria.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I agree, though in most cases I believe it is due to coloring. They tend to be "drab".
Personally I like the dark molted green color on them and the white tips on the tail fin along with anal fin. I thought during the day they'd be lazy but that's not the case with these two. I read one other account of someone keeping one and it was super active. I noticed yesterday prior to putting the minnows in I guess a perch got too close to the more laid back walleye that hides in front of the drift wood. The walleye took quite a run at the perch and that's the first time I had seen that.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I think the perch have a great pattern as well. There are some other natives that have really nice patterns like the brook trout. It depends on preference I guess.

When I had my perch they were quite lazy. They were a bit shy and skiddish though, most likely due to being wild caught. Awesome that you have active ones. Watching them swim is part of the fun.

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Nice tank! I've got a creek in my back yard that I've caught walleye out of and I'm thinking of converting my 125 into a similar tank. Did you buy your driftwood or did you find it? I want to get some native wood but not sure if it will float or sink, might need to just test a few pieces out that I find.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Nice tank! I've got a creek in my back yard that I've caught walleye out of and I'm thinking of converting my 125 into a similar tank. Did you buy your driftwood or did you find it? I want to get some native wood but not sure if it will float or sink, might need to just test a few pieces out that I find.
It was actually given to me for free from the guy I bought the tank from off facebook. Its an awesome piece of wood I was worried he'd charge me an arm or leg for it because I know the local fish store would.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store