Unexpected Ammonia in fish tank

Sharkluver

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
My fish were acting normal, showing off their colors, and even spawning when I went to do a weekly water change in my new tank. Afterwards, I checked my ammonia, ph (8.2), nitrates, etc and ammonia was at 2ppm after the change. I changed about a third of the water in my 40 gallon before I checked so it was even higher before that. At first, I thought it was the Prime I used but after testing tap water with prime it showed only a brownish tint so it wasn't that. I added more Prime to detoxify the ammonia and more stability. A day later the ammonia was at 2ppm and I changed the water again to get it back down to .75 ppm. I had changed the pads a few days before because it was gross after just a week. I have 19 fish that were all added at once a week before (Not my idea) and I used Seachem Stability to mini cycle it quickly. Do you think I disrupted the tank too soon after adding fish? Too many fish? They used to get fed two times a day or more with tons of treats for the first week but I talked to the family that was spoiling them and now they get fed flakes once a day and a treat twice a week. Do you think this could be the side effects of the period of overfeeding? There is a lot of poop sitting in the sand from it and I am getting a gravel vacuum asap to clean that up. Is there anything more I can do to stabilize my tank?

Sharkluver

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
Sounds like both over stocked and filter can not handle the bioload.
It is too late to return the fish so what should I do? Am I going to have to do constant water changes if I can't rehome some of the fish?

Sharkluver

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
it's two weeks old and I cycled it fishless before I added the fish and then added stability for the first week and saw it go through the cycle and it's been completely clear of ammonia for a week after that.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Stability recommends using daily for 1 week but of you added 19 fish to cycle it the ammonia will def rise... your best bet is to continue using stability and doing frequent smaller water changes until the tank fully cycles.

I actually just set my 125 up with only a little cycled media from my 600 gallon and with unseeded media.. added 32 fish in 3 days.... I plan on using stability daily for 2-3 weeks and add prime every 3 days with 40-50 gallon water changes.

The stability and fish should eventually feed the bio media as the water changes and prime remove ammonia as the tank fully cycles

Reactions: Sharkluver

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
2 weeks is not long enough, either fishess or with fish, and even with stability.
You would have had to be testing for ammonia, and nitrate, noticed two pikes, after about 2 weeks, you would have noticed an ammonia spike (the one you are seeing now) , then after a week or 2, nitrite spike, and when the tank was ready for fish, a nitrate spike.
That cycle can take from 4 to up to 6 weeks to complete.
And when new adding only a few small fish until the tank is actually totally seasoned.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Sounds like to me the 19 fish that you added caused a mini crash. The Beneficial bacteria that was supporting your pre-existing fish cannot support the additional load yet. Keep adding stability for about a week and test your parameters daily. change water as needed use prime as needed you’ll get through it. It will help to cut back your feeding for this week while your cycling the tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Sounds to me like it is over stocked with too many fish added at once. The bacteria just can't keep up with the load.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store