48x30x30 185 Gallon

Stealthbobber

Feeder Fish
Mar 19, 2018
Hello everyone, I've been wanting monster fish for quite some time and am finally taking the plunge and getting a "big" tank. Up until this point my biggest tank is a planted 75 gallon angelfish tank so I have no experience with big fish. I've wanted an Oscar since I was 10 and have finally found a huge acrylic tank on craiglist that I'm going to go pick up. From what I've seen the 6 foot tanks seem to be the way to go with big fish but in this case I'm sure the depth of a 30 inch tank won't be bad either.

My intent is to have a single Oscar with a Severum of some sort, a school of 7 or so silver dollars, and some sort of catfish (most likely a syndodontis of some sort)
So basically
1x Oscar
1x Severum
~7x Silver dollars
1x Bottom dwelling catfish

Does this seem reasonable? I know from the rest of my experience in the hobby that overcrowding is much easier than people think but I haven't dealt with it on large scales. I figure with the right scape in the center I can break up the line of sight for the cichlids and the more square shape will be fine for schooling fish like the silver dollars. I know it's not a 6 foot tank but the water volume is huge and it's tall/deep. Should I be worried about this setup or should I go for it?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should be good. Make sure ur filtration is right.

Stealthbobber

Feeder Fish
Mar 19, 2018
So I got the tank yesterday and its absolutely awesome. Its plumbed for a sump too so I'm thinking I'm gonna build one. would a 20 gallon long be adequate or should I get additional fitration?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
a 40g would be better. I believe a sump is supposed to be 20-25% of the main tank.

BadBrad

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2018
United States
Sounds like a fun tank. I think you should be fine if you’re filtration is right. Keep us posted on how it goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store