Can I use my saltwater lights on a freshwater planted aquarium?

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
I'm switching over from the expensive saltwater world to a more relaxed freshwater planted aquarium and I have 2 Maxspec R420r 15k lights ( http://www.maxspect.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=483&lang=en )

Looking at the wavelength table listed on this website, it looks like the proper blue (450-475nm) wavelength is used in these lights for a standard planted tank but there is very little red wavelength. Will this work on a freshwater tank? I'm sure it will look a little funny with this lighting but I can turn off the purple lights that make the corals colors pop.

I'm not sure yet what kind of plants I'll put in the tank, its a 125g tank and it's my first freshwater tank so I'll probably start off simple.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; While I do not have a solid answer from experience, let me encourage you to give it a try. You already have the lights so why not. I have done that sort of thing a few times with mixed results. You are likely correct about the wavelength not being just right but may work enough so you can avoid new lights.

Reactions: tlindsey

le0p

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
I've used reef lights before on planted tanks and they will definitely grow plants. Hard to tell from the product site but I'm thinking you can adjust the spectrum a bit on those? I would just take it closer to a 10K and lower the intensity as other than color, reef lights tend to be far more powerful than what is needed for planted tanks. Definitely try it before you get something new! I personally like the crisp whites you can get with a good reef light over a planted tank, it just may not be optimal.

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Yeah I'm thinking I'll give these a try with some hardy freshwater plants as a test run while I'm cycling the tank. The lights have 2 channels that can be controller independently by intensity but you can't control the wavelength being produced in each channel. So channel A is the optimal plant growing setting that has all the blue/green wavelengths and I can turn up or down the K value which just increases/decreases the intensity within the blue/green spectrum. I can basically turn off the B channel which is more of the deep blue/purple wavelength that reef hobbiest like to use for making corals pop.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used to get used bulbs from a friend who switched them out every 6 months on his salt water tanks. I'd get many extra months of use on them on my fresh water tanks, and never had a problem.

Reactions: celebrist

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Yes you can. Many years ago as an ill informed newbie, I started a 120g planted tank and was sold a 5ft T5 light set. All was well, plants grew, some flowered. Only discovered the tubes were 10K when it was time to change them.

TDOliphant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2018
You can. I use one of the black box led units over my 40. Plants are growing fine. I run my white leds at 75% and the blues at about 20%. No issues. Have monte carlo and staurogyne carpeting .

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
I grew plants in a dirt substrate with a LED full spectrum reef light worked really well actually just had to keep the intensity under 15 percent if not I would get some algae (ocean revive T247)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store