Big tank water change question

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
So my largest tank is definitely tiny to most on here its abit over 500lts then i have a 350 ltr and a 250ltr For the first copule years i didnt mind marching out 1million trips to the laundry and back with a 20ltr bucket but these days not so much. So i wonder if i can use my garden hose to fill the bugger up then dechlorinate it after filled. Say my jag tank when they are not breeding they are hardy enough fish to withstand abit of lazy abuse.? Annd if i dechlorinate for say 400ltrs with 100ltrs in the tank still... do i dechlor 400ltrs or add more because of 100lts in the tank still

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Best to refill of a mixer tap to match the water temperature a bit, add enough declorinater before the refill...
Empty with a 19-22mm hose to Syphon it out quickly.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Get a Python and no more buckets. Also declor the whole water volume, not just what you changed. For instance, I have a 125gallon tank, a FX4 and 2 AC110s so I declor for 130 gallons. To make sure all the water get cleaned of chlorine not just diluted.

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Thanks guys.
I done mammoth water changes on my main tanks. I can see my electricity bill spiking after doing this continually. I dont think there is a do hicky or thingy ma jigg to run a hose connection from my laundry but ill definitely look into it. cheers

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I add a shot of dechlorinator as the tank is refilling.
For my large water changes, I pumped old water directly to the garden, by closing a line to the sump, and running a line out the window, thereby doing a water change on 3-5 tanks (all on the sump) at the same time.
I like the idea of using the water twice, so did the lawn and garden.

And filled the tanks back up with a PVC line directly from the faucet to the sump.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yup, good advice here. Get a python, dechlor for the whole tank volume. I personally just use cold water unless I am doing a 70% WC or something like that. You will wonder why you never bought one before

Reactions: Oz fish guy

Oz fish guy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2018
Thanks guys. I also run irrigation from tanks my plants love it over the growing season. Cheers for the advice guys

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
So my largest tank is definitely tiny to most on here its abit over 500lts then i have a 350 ltr and a 250ltr For the first copule years i didnt mind marching out 1million trips to the laundry and back with a 20ltr bucket but these days not so much. So i wonder if i can use my garden hose to fill the bugger up then dechlorinate it after filled. Say my jag tank when they are not breeding they are hardy enough fish to withstand abit of lazy abuse.? Annd if i dechlorinate for say 400ltrs with 100ltrs in the tank still... do i dechlor 400ltrs or add more because of 100lts in the tank still
Add the dechlorinator as you're filling. And general advice is to add dechlorinator for the whole tank volume. You can't really overdechlorinate and it's cheap enough.

Concern when filling with a garden hose, I assume you'll be filling with cold water, you probably will cool the tank too much. Run a hose from your kitchen sink etc so you can fill it with warm water instead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store