Will 1 pump work for 2 connected sumps?

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
Hi everyone, I want to upgrade my sump so I will have more room for accessories and media. The sump in use is store bought and I would like to add one that I am making. My problem is connecting the two together. I plan on running a flexible hose like what comes from the hang on back overflow to connect them together and the return pump will set in the diy sump that's made out of a 40 breeder.
The secondary sump will have a 3 drawer storage bin in it with the top drawer having a couple layers of filter padding in it. The second drawer will be filled to the rim with about 4 gallons of bio balls. Right now I'm thinking about removing the bottom drawer and placing a shelf in there so I can sit a bag of charcoal under the bio balls.
I see some of sumps that have like a pump chamber but I'm not sure if this will work in my situation and with two sumps flooding is also a concern. If this is a bad idea or if there is anything I should do differently please let me know.

Thanks

View attachment IMG_20180323_173807861.jpg View attachment IMG_20180323_173756799.jpg

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
Hmm. I didn't think I would have to use a pipe that big, I think they are both drilled to accommodate a 1 1/4" hose. I guess I have some more figuring to do. I have a 55 gallon aquarium available but I have not found a design that would keep the combined 8 or 9 gallons of bio balls above the water surface to keep it as a trickle filter.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Why do you believe bioballs need to be kept above the water. I use bio-media both ways, submerged and above the surface, and I don't notice any difference in efficiency between the two when testing water parameters.
And if the two are connected, one pump will be sufficient. That said....if they are not connected perfectly, and if the connection between sumps gets plugged, overflowing cab be a problem.
The size of the pipe will determine what kind of flow rate you can use, the larger the pipe diameter, the higher the flow rate.
Also why carbon? especially under other media. Carbon has a finite life span, and then becomes plugged.
There have been some studies linking the extended use of carbon, to HLLE, whether or not they are conclusive or not, I don't know. But I do know when any media becomes saturated with detritus it can become a breeding ground for bacteria, so having it in an area where it can be easily removed and rinsed free of gunk is a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigfishnut

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
Why do you believe bioballs need to be kept above the water. I use bio-media both ways, submerged and above the surface, and I don't notice any difference in efficiency between the two when testing water parameters.
And if the two are connected, one pump will be sufficient. That said....if they are not connected perfectly, and if the connection between sumps gets plugged, overflowing cab be a problem.
The size of the pipe will determine what kind of flow rate you can use, the larger the pipe diameter, the higher the flow rate.
Also why carbon? especially under other media. Carbon has a finite life span, and then becomes plugged.
There have been some studies linking the extended use of carbon, to HLLE, whether or not they are conclusive or not, I don't know. But I do know when any media becomes saturated with detritus it can become a breeding ground for bacteria, so having it in an area where it can be easily removed and rinsed free of gunk is a good idea.
I guess I have not kept up with the times sort of speak with use of filter media. I've always believed that the bio balls needed a trickle affect to be efficient and carbon would remove odor and other contaminants. What would be a better choice over charcoal? Would converting a 55 into a sump be a better choice over two separate sumps or would it really matter? I guess I just have to get around the fact that the bio balls don't have to be above the water line.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Carbon does remove odors, but only until saturated with the odor causing substance, then it becomes inactive, and stops removing them.
Since bio-media is just a substrate bio-for bacteria to reside on, any porous material works.
I use lava rock, because its porous and inexpensive, but the ceramic rings, sintered glass, all those materials are useful. I also put ceramic rings in mesh bags, that way its easy to remove to rinse, or swish out excess gunk.

But in the end, all surfaces in an aquarium become substrate for beneficial bacteria.

For me, the best part of using a sump is ease of maintenance, and a place to put un-natural looking equipment. So if I can easily get my arms in to service media, and gear like pumps, its a good sump.
When I first built sumps I thought I needed to add chambers, and make them complicated, but now see those things as barriers that get in the way when something needs to be removed and cleaned, so I just throw mesh bags of media in on the floor of the sump, and let them work.

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
Carbon does remove odors, but only until saturated with the odor causing substance, then it becomes inactive, and stops removing them.
Since bio-media is just a substrate bio-for bacteria to reside on, any porous material works.
I use lava rock, because its porous and inexpensive, but the ceramic rings, sintered glass, all those materials are useful. I also put ceramic rings in mesh bags, that way its easy to remove to rinse, or swish out excess gunk.

But in the end, all surfaces in an aquarium become substrate for beneficial bacteria.

For me, the best part of using a sump is ease of maintenance, and a place to put un-natural looking equipment. So if I can easily get my arms in to service media, and gear like pumps, its a good sump.
When I first built sumps I thought I needed to add chambers, and make them complicated, but now see those things as barriers that get in the way when something needs to be removed and cleaned, so I just throw mesh bags of media in on the floor of the sump, and let them work.
Do you have a pic of your sump?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
My fish room used 3 - 4 sumps on about 1000+ gallons of tanks.
Some sumps just for equipment, some planted, some barrels, some tanks, it all depends on the needs of the fish, and ease of maintenance. Some sumps are not directly below tanks, and I know people who put sumps in different rooms, or even on floors below.

For outdoor tanks, I use a pond as a sump, as far as I'm concerned the only rule (if there is any absolute rule), is the law of gravity, and fluid dynamics.

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
That looks complicated, I see you use filter socks in some of your setup. My brother converted his filter setup from canister to a sump and the one he purchased came equipped with filter socks. I guess it's the new model of sumps. I bragged on my wetdry for so long and how easy it is to service he finally made the switch and I guess one upped me. That's what really had me looking at baffles and what i need to do to the new diy sump I'm adding to my setup. It kind of looks like I'm over thinking it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store