Compact/Low watt Pump

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Does anyone have any recommendations for a compact and low wattage pump? I was thinking of the eheim compacton 3000 (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/compacton-3000-792-gph-eheim.html). I need to achieve between 750-1000 gph.

Head height isn't really a concern because the pumps will be used to run internal HMF filters. The size and wattage is the biggest concern. As they will be sitting behind a HMF filter with a radius of 8in, they need to be compact. Also, if I was to run airlifts w/airpump that would only cost me 26 watts so I use an air pump I want to say low between the 30-40watts per pump (I need two).

My issue with the eheim is that I read the compacton are not made by eheim and lack the quality of their other pumps. I was also considering the tunze silence 1073.040 but it seems like no one carries that anymore.

Anyone with any input? I was looking at jebao but their pumps seem to be large and I continue to question quality.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
The other way to run matten filters is with a powerhead instead of a pump, you could get that flow rate with like 5 watts. I thought about doing it with mine, but ended up just doing the air lifts.

The tricky part is getting the powerhead to stay and seal in the middle of the filter, but it's certainly doable.

If you try it post a picture and let me know, I may try it on my next tank.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
The other way to run matten filters is with a powerhead instead of a pump, you could get that flow rate with like 5 watts. I thought about doing it with mine, but ended up just doing the air lifts.

The tricky part is getting the powerhead to stay and seal in the middle of the filter, but it's certainly doable.

If you try it post a picture and let me know, I may try it on my next tank.
Any examples of powerheads that put out 750-1,000gph? I am mostly familiar with wave makers and the powerheads I have found do much lower gph than what is needed.

The reason I am considering a pump over jetlifter is that the jetlifters I need will require 4 airtube lines which is somewhat of a pain to hide, but also to optimize the jetlifters you need the end nozzle half in and half out of water. This creates noise but even worse is going to be hard to balance seeing I will be running an auto drip based on a stand pipe. To balance the stand pipe head, sponge height, and jetlifter placement so that I never have flooding once the poret foam starts to block up is going to be a pain. Have a pump that push water 2-3in below the top of the sponge is going to be much easier.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Any examples of powerheads that put out 750-1,000gph? I am mostly familiar with wave makers and the powerheads I have found do much lower gph than what is needed.

The reason I am considering a pump over jetlifter is that the jetlifters I need will require 4 airtube lines which is somewhat of a pain to hide, but also to optimize the jetlifters you need the end nozzle half in and half out of water. This creates noise but even worse is going to be hard to balance seeing I will be running an auto drip based on a stand pipe. To balance the stand pipe head, sponge height, and jetlifter placement so that I never have flooding once the poret foam starts to block up is going to be a pain. Have a pump that push water 2-3in below the top of the sponge is going to be much easier.
I’m using koralia 1500 powerheads on my project. 7 watts each and only $40. I ordered the control box between the two so they can be programmed together. Using alternating flows you might help boost your HFM.

It might be work looking into.

Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400/1500 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 1400-1500 GPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036S1ETY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_k-BTAbA127Z1V

Hydor Smart Wave Circulation Pump Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TJCU0U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RaCTAbFG2EBCG

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I’m using koralia 1500 powerheads on my project. 7 watts each and only $40. I ordered the control box between the two so they can be programmed together. Using alternating flows you might help boost your HFM.

It might be work looking into.

Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400/1500 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 1400-1500 GPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036S1ETY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_k-BTAbA127Z1V

Hydor Smart Wave Circulation Pump Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TJCU0U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RaCTAbFG2EBCG
Not sure I follow. You’re saying I should use these to run the hmf? I don’t think I can as they create wave action vs just pushing a straight line of water.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Not sure I follow. You’re saying I should use these to run the hmf? I don’t think I can as they create wave action vs just pushing a straight line of water.
They can do wave or static current. Yoimbrian Yoimbrian did a better job explaining it. These can move a lot of water for minimal watts. Just cut a hole in the HMF so it draws from one side and pushes out the other. The housing on these are about 2.5”-3” so it would be super easy to mount

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Yoimbrian Yoimbrian and JK47 JK47 finally clicked. Great idea just need to look into dimensions and if it can fit. When you say it would be easy to mount do you mean mounting it in a different way than just with the magnet on the tank wall?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Yoimbrian Yoimbrian and JK47 JK47 finally clicked. Great idea just need to look into dimensions and if it can fit. When you say it would be easy to mount do you mean mounting it in a different way than just with the magnet on the tank wall?
No I just mean you’ll need to find a way to secure it like the magnets but fit between the foam in a place you’re happy with. Assume it will take a little bit of messing with

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store