Palembang Dragon....seriously tempted.

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
Went to our epic LFS who had 5 Palembang puffs. First time ever seen them in the flesh and they were a healthy healthy size, one in particular loved.

Understand lurkers and had a congo in the past. Given their inactivity is 30-40 US gallons for water quality and fact they are chunky monkeys?

They had 5 in a small tank together and see posts with some success keeping together - has anyone managed this? If keeping 2-3 what size tank?

So tempted but bit intimidated to introduce a second largish tank.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I got lucky when i bought two in the past from different LFS' that they ended up being male and female...

Together they did work and actually did breed, but they were just seriously boring and had occasional fights in the tank...

I ended up selling mine after a year or so just because they were even lazier than my congo at the time and really felt like keeping pet rocks which isnt for me...

So to answer your question, i've in the past often heard people say that T.Suvatti and T.Palembang can sort of be co-habbited together in species only tank but as with all puffer you'll need a backup plan if all goes south...

Reactions: lilacamy931

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Ive heard about it like above, but I wouldn't do it personally. My gut feel would be a 75 for 3. Which would be a lot of room donated for pet rocks. If your serious about a pair of shoot for that, but I'd do a solo tank otherwise.

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
Hmmmm think you have a good point on the pet rock aspect....it's a shame as they have gorgeous markings.

After soul searching I think this would go your way Fathomer. I just need to avoid visiting them in the meantime!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Hmmmm think you have a good point on the pet rock aspect....it's a shame as they have gorgeous markings.

After soul searching I think this would go your way Fathomer. I just need to avoid visiting them in the meantime!
I totally get where you are coming from, lately they have been offering them again at a few LFS’ i frequent and even though i swore i would never get one again, when you do see them and they decide to be active in the store display for you it gets tempting...

lilacamy931

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2009
Burnemouth
Well time will tell, they had 5 which seemed a lot for lurker rocks. The guy knows I am puff lady and was showing them off.

My two schoutedenis are doing well and these am in love with. We are getting kitchen remodelled end April and thinking a centre piece or display tank. Might have a think on one of these later or have a look into different species.

Had various in the past (congo, hairy, peas, f8s, possibly an abei, fahaka) Just need to refresh myself on tank sizes and activities.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
If its for a display tank i’d get a more active species or the tank may look quite bare / empty imho...

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
When I was looking for my puffer the dragon was on my research list. When I heard how lazy they were they got marked off my list pretty quickly. Dont know if I got much better with my hairy puffer but at least it responds to me coming up to the tank ad I do see it swim around and puff up in the evening. But yeah the dragon is so tempting when you see them in person.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store