25 gallon stocking

CichlidKeeper66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
Hello everyone, once again, I’m asking suggestions for what fish I should stock my 25 gal. tank with. First and most importantly, I want a fish with a lot of personality, one that is very intelligent, a fish similar to an Oscar’s level of intelligence, and would be fine by itself if it needed the entire 25 gal of space. This fish wouldn’t need to be very colorfull (because it wouldn’t be a showcase fish) but if it did, that would make it even better. If anyone knows any type of species of freshwater fish that fits these categories, and would be fine in a 25 gal. Tank, please reply. Thank you!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Assuming standard demensions you could do a lightly planted tank with 1 or two orangespotted sunfish,they r beautiful and can become very fearless.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I like the idea of a sunfish tank.
You could even try catching them yourself (if they are the only fish cause they most likely will have parasites)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
One of the smaller species of freshwater puffer sounds like it would fit the bill nicely...

Could maybe do a planted tank with a group of dwarf puffers, or go for a slightly larger red eye species such as C.irrubesco or C.Salivator...

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
i would do some dwarf cichlids. maybe a pair of blue acaras with some tetras and cories. i think sunfish would be too skittish in a tank that size, and not really what youre looking for personality wise imo.

my blue acaras are probably my most active, personable fish.

Reactions: CichlidKeeper66

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Would GTs be able to live in it?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
No, too tight for one.
What about figure of eight puffers?

Reactions: Davidiator

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Hairy puffer is doable imo, not very active tho being a lurker species.
I keep a lone red wolf in mine, he is 5.5" tho and I will upgrade if I feel the need.
Cutteri cichlid pair.
Appistogramma tank.

A few options.

Reactions: CichlidKeeper66
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store