Green Terror face bitten by catfish

BGKAuatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Ontario Canada
Hey I’m new to monster fish keepers as a member and I’m wondering what to do about my green terror. I only had him a few days and I bought him and my walking catfish the same day and put them in a 75 gallon holding tank for now and within 48 hours the catfish who is 4.5 inches bit the face of my green terror who is 4inches. The bit mark is huge the terror must have been sleeping otherwise he would have been to fast for the catfish and I’ve neber seen aggression so far out of him so I’m wondering if he just thought he had a opertunity and went for it. Idk why he did he literally had a ton of blood worms and brine shrimp the night before plus a few pellets in the morning before as well. It sucks the terror are my favourite fish and I don’t know what to do. I separated them and the terror is in a 75 with rainbows and a few rams and a inch Vieja X Dempsey cross and a 1 inch Dempsey. It noticed it this morning and took him out immediately. He will never be able to fully grow back the bite mark and definitely not go in the 150 with Oscars, a dempsey and salvini pair, and the walking cat no way he could defend himself I just don’t know what to do like the wound is huge half his face and eye are gone but he doesn’t seem to be swimming bad at all I just don’t wanna leave him to suffer or kill him if he really doesn’t need to be. I don’t have a home when he gets bigger now with him being handicapped basically so I’m wondering what to do I’m leaning towards uthanizing but I don’t want to if I don’t have to I feel bad for the little guy

Predatoryfish123

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2018
Hey I’m new to monster fish keepers as a member and I’m wondering what to do about my green terror. I only had him a few days and I bought him and my walking catfish the same day and put them in a 75 gallon holding tank for now and within 48 hours the catfish who is 4.5 inches bit the face of my green terror who is 4inches. The bit mark is huge the terror must have been sleeping otherwise he would have been to fast for the catfish and I’ve neber seen aggression so far out of him so I’m wondering if he just thought he had a opertunity and went for it. Idk why he did he literally had a ton of blood worms and brine shrimp the night before plus a few pellets in the morning before as well. It sucks the terror are my favourite fish and I don’t know what to do. I separated them and the terror is in a 75 with rainbows and a few rams and a inch Vieja X Dempsey cross and a 1 inch Dempsey. It noticed it this morning and took him out immediately. He will never be able to fully grow back the bite mark and definitely not go in the 150 with Oscars, a dempsey and salvini pair, and the walking cat no way he could defend himself I just don’t know what to do like the wound is huge half his face and eye are gone but he doesn’t seem to be swimming bad at all I just don’t wanna leave him to suffer or kill him if he really doesn’t need to be. I don’t have a home when he gets bigger now with him being handicapped basically so I’m wondering what to do I’m leaning towards uthanizing but I don’t want to if I don’t have to I feel bad for the little guy
How do you post

Predatoryfish123

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2018
Definitely separate them right now if you can. Treat the wound accordingly. Mabye they just aren’t compatible with eachother. Atleast he got out alive

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Half his face an eye are gone? Can you post a pic? Depending on how bad it is and if it would effect its eating I think I’d likely put it down.
How bad is it?

BGKAuatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Ontario Canada
Oh yeah they’re separated I did it as soon as I saw it and it’s early but he won’t eat anything yet so I’m waiting to see if he eats that’s will decide what I’m gonna do

F336E241-ACC8-4115-97FC-C3F4A33F14E0.jpeg D098AEB4-4F94-4475-9CDB-54201CD18378.jpeg 51B93BE7-381E-41D9-8258-528C43F85629.jpeg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oh, my. That is really bad.
I think I’d put it down. Sorry op.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
That GT is a goner. Trying to keep him alive invites a slow painful death of fungus and bacterial attacks. We all face these unpleasant situations occasionally. Sorry for your loss.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature, catfish (like yours), eat cichlids, what your cat did was normal, and I would imagine, all the other cichlids in the tank (unless too big to eat), are also on the cats menu. Cats are also nocturnal feeders, so the cichlids (at night while resting) are sitting ducks.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I think he'll probably heal if you keep the water clean, as far as feeding I like easy to catch live foods for sick fish, such as ghost shrimp or aquatic insects.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store