Melafix/Pimafix for velvet?

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
I believe my son's tank had a velvet outbreak that decimated all of his stock. Would mela/Pimafix be a sufficient treatment? I've never had to deal with velvet in 30 years of keeping fish. So I'm just scratching my head here. It took out 6 fish in a week, and number 7 is struggling. At first I thought it was a fungus, but now I'm thinking velvet. Funny thing, the ghost shrimp don't seem to be affected one bit.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would post ur water parameters. Pics of the fish. If it’s velevet then slowly adding salt at 1 tsp per gallon x3 6hrs apart and using copper will help.

Melafix and pimafix won’t help.

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
Velvet is nasty stuff. It doesn't come around often in freshwater but the survival rate is very low. Best treatment for it is a saltwater dip then treat with either copper or chloroquin phosephate, that later being the safer bet but it sounds like the last one might not make it. If he doesn't make it, best option might be to bleach tank and start over. Salt therapy won't work on velvet because it usually kills in 24 hours or less and it takes longer than that to ramp up salt. That's why cp is the best option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store