Manzanita driftwood

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Hey guys so I ordered a few large pieces of sand blasted manzanita and as I started trimming some of the large branches i noticed some green ..... so i guess these pieces arent fully dead. How should i go about this to make sure they are safe for the tank. The pieces are way too large to boil.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe leave them some place warm and dry for it to finish drying out? Once it's completely dry then should be good to go

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
46D7118F-ADAF-452B-B3A6-7F8C28135C99.png
I’ve had some pieces with live red bark still on them where I just let soak in the tank...fungus will grow on them whether dry, dead or alive. Brush off fungus few times or if you have a flagtail procichlodus, they love eating the fungus and keep any wood clean.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
View attachment 1310034
I’ve had some pieces with live red bark still on them where I just let soak in the tank...fungus will grow on them whether dry, dead or alive. Brush off fungus few times or if you have a flagtail procichlodus, they love eating the fungus and keep any wood clean.
The red bark isn't an issue if the piece is dead but my concern is if my driftwood is still living it can leach out sap or other unwanted things into the aquarium.

I realize there will be a white filmy substance growing when its submerged... it will go away over time ...im not concerened with any of that... just the fact that if my manzanita is still living it can kill my fish by leaking sap

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
The red bark isn't an issue if the piece is dead but my concern is if my driftwood is still living it can leach out sap or other unwanted things into the aquarium.

I realize there will be a white filmy substance growing when its submerged... it will go away over time ...im not concerened with any of that... just the fact that if my manzanita is still living it can kill my fish by leaking sap
I see what you mean. The local mountains in SoCal has manzanita continue to grow even when 90% of the tree or bush is dead dry.

I'd let your pieces dry out and not take any chances. Dry them in the oven at low heat if they'll fit.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I see what you mean. The local mountains in SoCal has manzanita continue to grow even when 90% of the tree or bush is dead dry.

I'd let your pieces dry out and not take any chances. Dry them in the oven at low heat if they'll fit.

I cut a few up to fit in the oven I plan on baking them at 200f for a few hrs. I hope this will do it. Will the green pigment go away if it's fully dried out?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Green pigment should die and decompose fairly quickly if the branch is dead :)

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Green pigment should die and decompose fairly quickly if the branch is dead :)
Awesome... are we talking within a month or like 3-6 months? .... just gettin impatient since I need to get the piece into the tank in order to scape around it and get things rolling lol

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Awesome... are we talking within a month or like 3-6 months? .... just gettin impatient since I need to get the piece into the tank in order to scape around it and get things rolling lol
No idea, but heating it would hasten the process I think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store