Tank upgrade - need help with sump setup.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
I really like that setup.
Is there a reason the e drains are going into a different chamber of the sump? Can I have mine go into a filter sock next to the main line?
Yes you can, and all drains its better to end in a filter socks. However, if the e drains are never going to be used (only in emergency, rarely), then you can avoid usage and cleaning of one pair of socks, that may be the reason.

I have 3 drains from my tank and all 3 ends in 3 separate 100 micron filter socks. I change the socks for my suction line every week, and change the other 2 socks for 3-4 weeks since they dont get clogged up like suction line socks. Once I have 5-6 lined up for cleaning, I just put them in the washing machine with bleach and it goes back to usage again.

Reactions: MrsE88 and jaws7777

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yes you can, and all drains its better to end in a filter socks. However, if the e drains are never going to be used (only in emergency, rarely), then you can avoid usage and cleaning of one pair of socks, that may be the reason.

I have 3 drains from my tank and all 3 ends in 3 separate 100 micron filter socks. I change the socks for my suction line every week, and change the other 2 socks for 3-4 weeks since they dont get clogged up like suction line socks. Once I have 5-6 lined up for cleaning, I just put them in the washing machine with bleach and it goes back to usage again.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank

My third drain that is always dry (knock-knock on wood), I run directly to the return pump chamber. It's not intended to filter so I don't have it running to a sock. IF/WHEN is takes on water, the idea is that it will splash into my return pump chamber. Between the noise and bubbles, I hope that would draw my attention.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Slight update:
Since the weather has warmed up I was able to move fish around and get the sump tank emptied out.
The warmer weather also means lots of yard work. Working on the tank has been put aside so I can get gardens cleared out and do spring cleaning.
I did finally get the sump chambers glued in place last night. Next I need to get the egg crate cut and put into place with the media so I can make sure it’s all set up the way I want it.
It’s going to be rainy for the rest of the week so I’m going to try and get whatever work done that I can in that time.

Reactions: narayanang76

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
Thanks for keeping up posted. I would love to see your drawing of your sump plans. I have been out of the hobby for many years due to health issues and I'm very excited to be piking up a very nice 180 gal with 75 gal sump that is all open. I plan on adding baffles and replumb the tank and sump, so all the info I can gather is a plus. Looking forward to see your tank up and running, its a beautiful set up, Congrats
Later
NCH

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for keeping up posted. I would love to see your drawing of your sump plans. I have been out of the hobby for many years due to health issues and I'm very excited to be piking up a very nice 180 gal with 75 gal sump that is all open. I plan on adding baffles and replumb the tank and sump, so all the info I can gather is a plus. Looking forward to see your tank up and running, its a beautiful set up, Congrats
Later
NCH
Thank you. Sounds like you will have a pretty sweet setup as well. I’ll do better then posting my chicken scratch plans:p I’ll post pictures of it finished.

First I want to thank you all that helped give me pointers and advice. I’m truly grateful.
Fair warning, it’s not perfect. Yes, the silicone in the sump is white>.< I was so worried about making sure it wasn’t the stuff with mold inhibitors in it that I forgot to make sure it was clear. But it’s just the sump so I said screw it and used it anyway. Other then that I’m really happy with how the sump turned out:)

For the plumbing I forgot to add the unions. Finding the plumbing parts was such a nightmare I completely spaced. My husband plumbed it all for me and did the hard work of finding all the parts. I got so overwhelmed I was ready to just get plugs to fit the old bulkheads and use hob filters. I’m so glad he was able to takeover for me, I’d be so lost without him.

I’ll stop rambling now. I just wanted to post the outcome of my project before starting a new thread for this tank. Any adjustments, and I’m sure there will be some, will get posted here.
Back plumbing
B76B05C6-CAC4-4976-8AA4-CCB60F29E672.png
The tank filled and running
57F11BAA-480D-454D-B9E0-6B20C8568366.png
I have since added more filter floss and bio media. I have yet to get the filter sock in place.
Now, both overflows are plumbed together into the sump, but the one on the right is set higher in the tank and isn’t being used. So it will act as an edrain in a way. Not perfect, but I’m pretty dang happy with it:) AB647F71-6185-4BFB-8B78-3C2ABC53A8A2.png

Cempa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Looks great! Make sure to show us a picture of the sump in action!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store