Burnt disc

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Hey guys,

Looks like my ray dug my heater up from the sand, I see burnt marks on both sides of the disk, and a part that's missing... Looks like a bite mark but I have no other fish big enough to take out such a chunk (about 3 cm wide) and there's another mark under the disk with no part missing on the other side.

2 questions arise:
- Is PVC safe to put around the heater? No melting, no other issue?
- Will pristine water be enough to let it recover or do I need chemicals/salt?

Thanks a bunch. :)

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Best thing to do for now is drill holes in pvc and cover heater. You're going to want to get your tank set up with a sump so you can have heaters and equipment in that instead. Plus, rays make a lot of waste as they get bigger so a sump is the only way you can keep up. Good water is all you should need for it to heal.

Reactions: Troy1015

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Best thing to do for now is drill holes in pvc and cover heater. You're going to want to get your tank set up with a sump so you can have heaters and equipment in that instead. Plus, rays make a lot of waste as they get bigger so a sump is the only way you can keep up. Good water is all you should need for it to heal.
I am waiting to move to redo the whole thing.
So until then, it's 80% WC once or twice weekly!
An upgrade is long overdue, not because the ray needs it, but because i want bigger ;)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I am waiting to move to redo the whole thing.
So until then, it's 80% WC once or twice weekly!
An upgrade is long overdue, not because the ray needs it, but because i want bigger ;)
Twice weekly water changes will do it right.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Pvc is fine as a heater guard just make sure to drill plenty of holes for flow... have you thought about a carbon drip filter so you don't have to do manually do large water changes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store