Buffing and Fixing Acrylic

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Two questions for all you DIYers out there, how easy is it to buff out acrylic? Also how easy is it fix an acrylic tank that has a leak. I have my eyes on a 240 acrylic tank which is a bit scratched up and would need to be buffed and the guy says he has never filled it, but was told when he bought it that it held water. It's a bit of a gamble but the price is right. Just wanted to cover my bases in case I had to do a repair and buffing.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Two questions for all you DIYers out there, how easy is it to buff out acrylic? Also how easy is it fix an acrylic tank that has a leak. I have my eyes on a 240 acrylic tank which is a bit scratched up and would need to be buffed and the guy says he has never filled it, but was told when he bought it that it held water. It's a bit of a gamble but the price is right. Just wanted to cover my bases in case I had to do a repair and buffing.
Well these are two pretty big topics to cover. One could say yes it's "easy" or spend two pages typing out instructions.

Buffing: pretty straight forward. You need buffing compound like like novus #3, #2. #1 is really just a cleaning agent. A handheld drill, bag of microfiber cloths and proper buffing pads is all that is needed. If you are over 30 clear you calendar for your lower back lol..

Repair: this needs to be specific to the actual damage. In general acrylic is very easy to repair.

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I would highly encourage you to jump on it if you can. Especially if the price is right. Most of my setups came via this route as well and I have really found a passion for restoring tanks. It's rewarding when you are all done. Something about saving a pile of money and doing it yourself is good for you

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Well these are two pretty big topics to cover. One could say yes it's "easy" or spend two pages typing out instructions.

Buffing: pretty straight forward. You need buffing compound like like novus #3, #2. #1 is really just a cleaning agent. A handheld drill, bag of microfiber cloths and proper buffing pads is all that is needed. If you are over 30 clear you calendar for your lower back lol..

Repair: this needs to be specific to the actual damage. In general acrylic is very easy to repair.
Thanks for the response. It's $150 for a tank that is 76" length 36" width and 21" high. I'll have to discuss it with the wife this evening as it is about 1.5-2 hours away, but I have two vacation days coming up Monday/Tuesday. I am over 30 (33 almost 4) but I'm a Physical Therapist luckily so I have plenty of tools to fix my back once I mess it up. :)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks for the response. It's $150 for a tank that is 76" length 36" width and 21" high. I'll have to discuss it with the wife this evening as it is about 1.5-2 hours away, but I have two vacation days coming up Monday/Tuesday. I am over 30 (33 almost 4) but I'm a Physical Therapist luckily so I have plenty of tools to fix my back once I mess it up. :)
Oh sweet you're all set then. That's a stellar deal and very unique tank dims. I would be trying to salvage that one too. Good luck man

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
JK47 JK47 do you have other places you look besides craigslist?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 do you have other places you look besides craigslist?
I frequent local salt water forums as well. I don't keep anything on the marine side but they use the same gear I do and usually spend a bit more than freshwater guys. Get in good with your local marine community and you'll have access to those that never get posted.

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Did you ever get the tank buffed and running? How did the restoration process go? I just bought a used 180, but have never buffed or restored an acrylic tank before. Let alone one that size. Also might have to PM you about being a PT. I got accepted to PT school but am having hesitations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store