Corydoras for an unheated tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I'm looking into settinging up a planted low maintenance tank with peaceful community type fish. Maybe let my kids handle the decorations and just spend some time with them.

I want to give them a few choices of fish to go with and I think corys would be a great addition. I did some quick googling on the below species and wanted to run them by you guys before I showed the kids.

Tank will be a 75 gal UNHEATED probably wouldnt get below 68ish, im going to fill it over the weekend and get a more accurate temp reading. So which of these would be ok for these temps ?

panda,
sterbai
adolfi
barbatus (I know not a true Cory)
eques
green laser
metae

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm looking into settinging up a planted low maintenance tank with peaceful community type fish. Maybe let my kids handle the decorations and just spend some time with them.

I want to give them a few choices of fish to go with and I think corys would be a great addition. I did some quick googling on the below species and wanted to run them by you guys before I showed the kids.

Tank will be a 75 gal UNHEATED probably wouldnt get below 68ish, im going to fill it over the weekend and get a more accurate temp reading. So which of these would be ok for these temps ?

panda,
sterbai
adolfi
barbatus (I know not a true Cory)
eques
green laser
metae

The Pepperd Cory would be my choice some are collected from cooler areas of SA.

Reactions: jaws7777

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I would have to say peppered as well or bearded I believe.

I think they inhabit 65-70F waters. I'm not a cory expert though.

Where duanes when you need him?

Cory cats on monsterfish blasphemy!!

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Apart from what is already mentioned, panda corys are also quite suitable for low temps. Generally, a lot of the corys do better in cooler temps.

Panda cory
Inhabits both clear and blcakwater streams and tributaries, often flowing over sandy substrates. Many of these are fed with meltwater run-off from the snow-capped Andean mountains at certain points in the year. At these times the flow rate increases and the water temperature can be quite low (to around 66°F (19°C).

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-panda/

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx for the link cory. Didn't really dig in deep yet but was pretty sure warmer waters for panda's we're a no no long term
Apart from what is already mentioned, panda corys are also quite suitable for low temps. Generally, a lot of the corys do better in cooler temps.

Panda cory
Inhabits both clear and blcakwater streams and tributaries, often flowing over sandy substrates. Many of these are fed with meltwater run-off from the snow-capped Andean mountains at certain points in the year. At these times the flow rate increases and the water temperature can be quite low (to around 66°F (19°C).

Reactions: Coryloach

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

Panda cory

What do you think about sterbai and julii ? From what I read sterbai might like it a bit warmer. I couldn't find much about julii

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
You can find info on PlanetCatfish.com
Thx T. I did and it stated low 70's maybe 72 as the min on the fact sheet.

Also read that most julii commonly sold are really Corydoras trilineatus. If that's the case then according to PCF 60° would be the minimum.

PetSmart pic... I know it means nothing but I didn't think to take a pic of what was in the tank it was other show my daughter.

20180419_145031.jpg

Pcf info on corydoras trilineatus.
Screenshot_20180420-232518.pngScreenshot_20180420-232759.png

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store