Pleco Quarantine Care

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Hello everyone, I recently purchased two juvenile WC L114’s and they currently are in my quarantine tank. I was wondering, what’s the best procedure for making sure their eating before I put them in my regular tank? Should I try to introduce algae wafers asap? Start with chopped mussel or clam? Go right for the zucchini?

There isn’t much algae in my quarantine tank, so they’ll have to eat sooner then later. I’ll post pictures soon as I can.

Also, the old method of “short and rounder =female and long and skinny = male.” Does that actually hold any merit at all?

Thank you for your time

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
L114 love meat how big are they mine was pigging out on tilapia on day 1 and he was wildcaught too
I’d say both are around 3 inches. One might be four if you count his longest fin lol. One is extremely long and skinny and the other is nice and fat and short. I dunno if this is simply just a normal size difference or foreshadowing

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Well I tried chopped scallop, they showed no interest in coming out from under the sponge filter. They pretty much have just been hanging out on that. Should I keep them in quarantine till I see them eat? Or put them in my tank that has lots of driftwood for them to latch on?

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I would keep in quarantine till they eat just leave a couple of pieces in tank at night and see if it is there in the morning

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
I would keep in quarantine till they eat just leave a couple of pieces in tank at night and see if it is there in the morning
Alright, I’ll try something other then scallops. They left that untouched. Maybe I’ll try your talapia cuts

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
mine love tilapia so much at 3.5" he will try to push the 17" tire track eel along with 12 bichirs (ranging from 6" to 14") out of the way to get to it

Reactions: Covetous

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
mine love tilapia so much at 3.5" he will try to push the 17" tire track eel along with 12 bichirs (ranging from 6" to 14") out of the way to get to it
I’ll give that a shot, I’m sure they’re getting SOMETHING off the sponge filter, but I can’t imagine it’s a whole lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store