Budget lighting

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
After a long time of trying to decide what tank I want I chose a 30 gallon breeder the only problem is that it takes up a good chunk of my budget leaving me with about 50$ to do my lighting. I am planning on housing a pair of dwarf green pike cichlids so low lighting is not only good for them but for my wallet. I am planning on trying some cfl bulbs to do some low light plants. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any suggestions on other lights or reccomendations about the cfl.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
3811312A-B9C8-4E1C-85F1-4650B03C4D54.jpeg
Just bought this from eBay...It was 4ft long and inexpensive.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Why not just get a basic aquarium strip light? No need to blow cash on something fancy shmancy if you don't have to.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'd say get two Gu10 5W spotlights and mount them above the tank. Should be even cheaper and gives a nice light effect :)

Do you want to grow plants?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Flood lights is an option as well, cool white in the 6000K range but you'f got to find a way to mount it over. If the tank has a glass lid, some just pop them on top facing down.

I was seriously considering one of these but I found online that they grow more algea than plants
If the light unit grows algae, it will also grow plants. You just need a way shorter photoperiod to prevent algae outbreaks.
Low light plants still need a good enough amount of light. There is such thing as light compensation point below which plants don't grow and eventually die.
Basically, most people that have no success with low tech tanks is because they don't provide sufficient light. You don't need excessive light for low light plant but you certainly need enough, and and as a reference, the amount of light needed will be bright enough for fish that don't like light.

Basically, the only plant I'd recommend in very low light conditions is anubias. All the rest of my plants pack bags in such conditions.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I use vivagrow and aquaneat 24/7. They've been on a 29 & 20L Viv for awhile. I think the aquaneat was $30 & vivagrow maybe $40. I'm well pleased with both

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A 30 gallon is not a large enough tank for a sting ray, I attended a talk by one of the foremost experts on stingrays who said the smallest tanks stingrays should be housed in, is at least 300 gallons as adults.
Any light will grow algae if your nitrates are not diluted with water changes.
For most tanks with low light plants, I use shop lights from the local hardware store, sometimes 2 per tank way less than $50.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store