Updates from the 300

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I totally get and support it - decreasing the numbers to your favorites which allows you more wiggle room with the Oscar, too. Why have a fish that contributes to bioload that you're not that into?

Helps keep the water cleaner with less work, and the fish therefore happier and healthier. But everyone here knows I'm not a fan of overstocking because I like low nitrates and low water changes, and room for fish to move.... And I think my polys/ropes did well and grew well with that theory. I could still feed every other day with 1x/wk WC and maintain low nitrates. Win for me, win for the fish. ;)

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I totally get and support it - decreasing the numbers to your favorites which allows you more wiggle room with the Oscar, too. Why have a fish that contributes to bioload that you're not that into?

Helps keep the water cleaner with less work, and the fish therefore happier and healthier. But everyone here knows I'm not a fan of overstocking because I like low nitrates and low water changes, and room for fish to move.... And I think my polys/ropes did well and grew well with that theory. I could still feed every other day with 1x/wk WC and maintain low nitrates. Win for me, win for the fish. ;)
Yep, you understand where Im coming from. I really love the endli, weeksii ansorgii and of course the cool green Faranah lap. While the Koliba and Nigerian do well and seem to be the ones who take the brunt of the bites and hits from the endli, they just are not my favorites.

Reactions: magpie and Jexnell

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yep, been seriously considering this for a while now. I feel like the Nigerian really looks bland and will never look good unless its on red garnet and I just dont want to make that change. I like the natural look of what Im using. The Koliba is another that just does not have that good look about it. Probably another that would look better on the garnet too.

So that would leave me with 4 polys. Endli, Ansorgii, Faranah lap and Weeksii.
David I'd keep the koliba only because I feel like if you ever get around to switching to Garnet sand the patterns and colors are going to pop.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
David I'd keep the koliba only because I feel like if you ever get around to switching to Garnet sand the patterns and colors are going to pop.
If I ever did the garnet switch, then the Nigerian would look awesome. This would then be a keeper, lol. See this is why Im trying for the clean break. My Nigerian was my poor mans PBB and without the garnet it has no pop. All the others I can live with how they look on my sand, the Nigerian just has nothing going for it... the koliba does at least have a good pattern, but lacks the color. Now you guys got me rethinking this.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
So if I did change to the garnet... the ansorgii would also ‘pop’ and the Nigerian would show color and pattern and I might see a little bit of color from the Koliba. All sounds good but, doesn’t the garnet look ‘fake’? This is what bothers me. It is a natural product but it looks so fake to me. Ive only seen pictures/video of it and never have seen it in person so Im just going by that. Am I the only one that feels that way? lol

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
If I ever did the garnet switch, then the Nigerian would look awesome. This would then be a keeper, lol. See this is why Im trying for the clean break. My Nigerian was my poor mans PBB and without the garnet it has no pop. All the others I can live with how they look on my sand, the Nigerian just has nothing going for it... the koliba does at least have a good pattern, but lacks the color. Now you guys got me rethinking this.
Maybe its better to change substrate, garnet sand has the natural look, just really depends on the light.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
So if I did change to the garnet... the ansorgii would also ‘pop’ and the Nigerian would show color and pattern and I might see a little bit of color from the Koliba. All sounds good but, doesn’t the garnet look ‘fake’? This is what bothers me. It is a natural product but it looks so fake to me. Ive only seen pictures/video of it and never have seen it in person so Im just going by that. Am I the only one that feels that way? lol
All your poly will benefit if you change to garnet;)

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Maybe its better to change substrate, garnet sand has the natural look, just really depends on the light.
I guess I should just buy a bag and do the test and see what I think. So with the right light it does not look ‘fake’?

All your poly will benefit if you change to garnet;)
I know the poly pics dont lie. They do look good on the stuff.... its just not my favorite looking substrate.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I guess I should just buy a bag and do the test and see what I think. So with the right light it does not look ‘fake’?

I know the poly pics dont lie. They do look good on the stuff.... its just not my favorite looking substrate.
Your light is adjustable right? With the right setting or even a bright pre-set will look like this
88DE8288-A5EF-4E3F-9CE5-14212776CC71.jpeg 7E660B7C-CB41-43B2-878B-3BB8433A4C2F.jpeg 03DC07D1-325B-40D5-9E04-14DF5A0884EC.jpeg 173241CD-F76D-4D79-AC39-7CE46D111CDB.jpeg C8617742-1B13-4CE2-885F-5BB394210754.jpeg
With the dim setting it can change from purple to red but still will look awesome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store