3D background

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Never seen it before, looks interesting and it says aquarium safe so thats good. Only thing that I'm wondering though is how much it would take to do a 6ft tank. Looks like it is $120 for a gallon of the stuff and I'm thinking a gallon probably wouldn't go that far so might be pretty costly unless you only used it on certain spots of the tank.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Never seen it before, looks interesting and it says aquarium safe so thats good. Only thing that I'm wondering though is how much it would take to do a 6ft tank. Looks like it is $120 for a gallon of the stuff and I'm thinking a gallon probably wouldn't go that far so might be pretty costly unless you only used it on certain spots of the tank.
yeah well i was thinking about going with a gallon and seeing if i could disguise some standpipes, maybe do a partial background and scape. see how far it goes. says it bonds to pvc well which excites me. i want something thats got that permanent, hard plastic finish. the cement approach was far too crumbly.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
If it binds to PVC that opens up a really cool way to do a DIY tree/logs. Could make a tree out of various PVC tube sizes and elbows and such then cover with that stuff and do some bark detail work on it :)
now we're talking. ive seen make your own stamp kits around but I'll probably just use this piece of petrified wood to texture the "bark"

Reactions: Davidiator

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Habe you looked into buying one?... the rocky 3d background by universal rocks for a 150 should only run you $150-$200 The benefit to this is

- you don't have to worry about messing up with cure times for cements epoxy ect.
- it's half an inch so won't take up a lot of space for a 3d background
- you don't have to silicone it
- you can add it even when the tank is full of water it comes with clips

I've seen a decent amount of diy 3d backgrounds and majority I've seen have looked boxy and unatural imo .... if your artistic ability is as bad as mine buy one lol

Reactions: Davidiator
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store