Some pics of my shrimps...

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Well, you've sold me. You and a youtube guy I follow. This guy has a 210 with like 5 fish and 1 or 2 shrimp. Nuts but it makes the 210 look big as the ocean.

Anyway, I bought a 20 gallon tall and just got my manzanita wood in today. Going to let that soak until my plants come in Friday. Once I'm cycled I'll order the shrimp.

I really like your crystals but I've heard they're tough on 1st time shrimp keepers. I was going to buy cherry shrimp but might consider crystals. Any advice. Will do some research.

I'm using Fluval shrimp and plant substrate and will order almond leaves and cholla wood. I think I've read they need to be around 72F?? Fat Homer Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Any ornamental shrimp ideally would prefer a well aged tank due to the bio-film and alage they can graze on in the tank...

However with supplmented feedings and clean water in the right paramters and they should do okay...

For temps i keep my Crystals tank at between 75-77F (24-25’C) constantly with chiller in summer and heater in the winter, although that is more or less as high as you’d want to go for Crystals usually...

Reactions: jaws7777 and jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Any ornamental shrimp ideally would prefer a well aged tank due to the bio-film and alage they can graze on in the tank...

However with supplmented feedings and clean water in the right paramters and they should do okay...

For temps i keep my Crystals tank at between 75-77F (24-25’C) constantly with chiller in summer and heater in the winter, although that is more or less as high as you’d want to go for Crystals usually...
yeah the part that I just will not do is the RO water. I just shut down my marine tank because it was a pain to do water changes. Maybe I should stick to cherries

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
yeah the part that I just will not do is the RO water. I just shut down my marine tank because it was a pain to do water changes. Maybe I should stick to cherries
I would try and find a local breeder for whatever shrimp you decide to go with, that way they should be more stable / suitable for whatever water you’re on...

Temps can be somewhat forgiving as well as long as its not overly warm and stays stable...

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I would try and find a local breeder for whatever shrimp you decide to go with, that way they should be more stable / suitable for whatever water you’re on...

Temps can be somewhat forgiving as well as long as its not overly warm and stays stable...
haha I'm lucky to have what LFS I do have. They're over priced and have very basic things. I live in hick town Texas. I'll order from Flip Aquatics or shrimp farm.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
haha I'm lucky to have what LFS I do have. They're over priced and have very basic things. I live in hick town Texas. I'll order from Flip Aquatics or shrimp farm.
Might be also an idea to find some shrimp FB groups, maybe able to find some local breeders or keepers who can share stock for cheaper prices...

Reactions: jwd and Caspers513

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Reactions: Fat Homer

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Might be also an idea to find some shrimp FB groups, maybe able to find some local breeders or keepers who can share stock for cheaper prices...
Hey, so far fun I bought a tds meter. My tap is 50ppm and my tank is 71. That's pretty low right? Is that suitable for crystals?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I’ve not tested my TDS but have heard of people keeping them at between 100-150 without problem so 70 should be fine ;)

Reactions: jwd

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
How's the tank going ?

Well, you've sold me. You and a youtube guy I follow. This guy has a 210 with like 5 fish and 1 or 2 shrimp. Nuts but it makes the 210 look big as the ocean.

Anyway, I bought a 20 gallon tall and just got my manzanita wood in today. Going to let that soak until my plants come in Friday. Once I'm cycled I'll order the shrimp.

I really like your crystals but I've heard they're tough on 1st time shrimp keepers. I was going to buy cherry shrimp but might consider crystals. Any advice. Will do some research.

I'm using Fluval shrimp and plant substrate and will order almond leaves and cholla wood. I think I've read they need to be around 72F?? Fat Homer Fat Homer

So would they do ok with cooler temps ?

Reactions: jwd
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store