Vieja Zonata Cichlid has had quite a nasty temper lately... now I realize why...

CrystaliZed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2010
VA Beach
Yesterday I went to feed our Vieja some earth worms which she just devours immediately... a few hours after feeding I went to do a bit of re-arranging & cleaning in her tank and she bit me. I couldn't figure out why until a few hours ago... sometime this evening this happened...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/illusiveongaku/IMG_8262.jpg

I didn't even recognize that they were eggs initially... too bad we don't have a male and I can't even guarantee any of my other fish are males for some interesting hybrids - lol!

I have no idea how long the eggs are good before needing to be fertilized or really how a pair of these two would go about raising the fry... she's got a nasty temper 1/2 the time that I believe she'd probably never get along w/ a male...

Anyone have any ideas on this?! :popcorn:

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
Eggs need to be fertilized as they are laid, if she lays regularly then you might look for a male to borrow for breeding.

Richard86

Feeder Fish
Apr 14, 2018
What do you typically feed your zonata I recently got one that's 13 in and it acts like it doesn't want to eat

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
What do you typically feed your zonata I recently got one that's 13 in and it acts like it doesn't want to eat
Start out with live feeder critters like ghost shrimp and crickets, then switch to krill and pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store