Dovii Tank setup

ClaustrophobicTurtle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys.

Got a male 5 inch Dovii who has an absolute monster of a personality, this guy is going to be insanee!!

Got him temporarily in a 4 x 18 x 18, he doesnt seem to mind yet.

I have 2 options.

- Keep him in it for 3 months, then get 6 x 2 x 2.
- Upgrade to 4 x 2 x 2 immediately, then get 6 x 2 x 2 in 6 months.

for reasons beyond my control - I cant house a 6 footer in my current home setup, moving in 3 months.

Suggestions?

Thanks guys :)

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I would say keep him in the tank he is in now and upgrade him when you move but dovis need a bigger tank then a 6x2x2 I would say minimum 7x2.5x2

Reactions: tlindsey

ClaustrophobicTurtle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I would say keep him in the tank he is in now and upgrade him when you move but dovis need a bigger tank then a 6x2x2 I would say minimum 7x2.5x2
I have heard some mixed opinions on this, some say 180 is fine for one male, some say more. Have you owned an adult male?

6 foot+ in Australia, especially the custom sizes increase the pricing exponentially, so would need to be sure I'm making the correct purchase the first time

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I’ve never owned a male but I know they can get over two feet and 15 inches tall, they are also very active so they need a big tank, a 180 may work for a female but it’s still a bit cramped

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Most agree 600g is a good size for a male to reach maximum potential. Maybe a plywood build would be a better option or possibly a blockwork indoor pond.
I have a 300g 7*3*2 and ultimately decided against a single fish in that size tank, also considering 4* length of fish and twice width minimum... Then I bought a black aro, very contradictory I know lol.
Being such a massive tall bodied fish 3ft depth for a monster specimen would be good.
Obviously there's the chance if you bought from a LFS you have a mutt anyway and it could possibly never pass 20" where a 300g like mine should be fine.
Good luck, you may very well get bored and decide 1 fish in a tank is not for you, most dovii keepers end up selling after a few years at about 16" from my observation.

ClaustrophobicTurtle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Most agree 600g is a good size for a male to reach maximum potential. Maybe a plywood build would be a better option or possibly a blockwork indoor pond.
I have a 300g 7*3*2 and ultimately decided against a single fish in that size tank, also considering 4* length of fish and twice width minimum... Then I bought a black aro, very contradictory I know lol.
Being such a massive tall bodied fish 3ft depth for a monster specimen would be good.
Obviously there's the chance if you bought from a LFS you have a mutt anyway and it could possibly never pass 20" where a 300g like mine should be fine.
Good luck, you may very well get bored and decide 1 fish in a tank is not for you, most dovii keepers end up selling after a few years at about 16" from my observation.
Thank you for the response.
You know that is something which interests me a little..

You never see this fabled 2 foot Dovii online.. not aquarium grown anyway - regardless of tank size. Do you guys know of anyone online with a 2 foot Dovii tank grown?
A lot of these "20" specimens" look seriously more like 15"ers..

I have seen some giants wild caught, but Aquarium kept?

Links for inspirational videos?

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
Thank you for the response.
You know that is something which interests me a little..

You never see this fabled 2 foot Dovii online.. not aquarium grown anyway - regardless of tank size. Do you guys know of anyone online with a 2 foot Dovii tank grown?
A lot of these "20" specimens" look seriously more like 15"ers..

I have seen some giants wild caught, but Aquarium kept?

Links for inspirational videos?
Theres a few 20" plus tank grown here on mfk search biggest dovii theres a few threads. Im from oz I agree with the tank cost, theres always a gumtree bargain somewhere. I have a 3metrex1metre x 65cm and my 18-20" bass look big still i couldnt picture them in a 6 footer dovii have alot more body mass too. I always feel too percentage of fish kept in home aquaria that are posted online would be small theres probably plenty of 2 foot dovii kicking around.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Mel is a member on here, his big male died several years back and was measured at 28". Tank grown in a 600g:)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
He spread fry all over the country and still has a son that hit 18" in two years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store