Is this ich?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Here's the story. I rescued a flowerhorn from an established tank however the flowerhorn was beat up by its larger sister. I thought that since it came from a non LFS tank it would be fine to dump in with my wolf fish and texas cichlid. That same day I purchased a rocket gar from the LFS and and put in a 37 quarantine tank. Fast forward 6 days and the flowerhorn is bothering my wolf fish so I had no choice but to take the rocket gar and puyit in my other 125 community tank. I took the flowerhorn and Texas and put them in the 37 gallon quarantine tank. Wolf fish looked very stressed so I had to do this.

Now in the rocket gar tank I saw this white speck on my black skirt tetras.

Is this ich?

125 rocket gar tank stock:
5 adult black skirt tetra
4 inch electric blue acara
3 inch dolphin cichild
3 inch African leopard fish
5 inch Senegal bichir
8 inch fire eel
5 inch African knife fish
3 syno petricola catfish
7 inch rocket gar

Side note the wolf fish is doing phenomenal now that it's alone again.

20180428_132644.jpg 20180428_132620.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Here's the story. I rescued a flowerhorn from an established tank however the flowerhorn was beat up by its larger sister. I thought that since it came from a non LFS tank it would be fine to dump in with my wolf fish and texas cichlid. That same day I purchased a rocket gar from the LFS and and put in a 37 quarantine tank. Fast forward 6 days and the flowerhorn is bothering my wolf fish so I had no choice but to take the rocket gar and puyit in my other 125 community tank. I took the flowerhorn and Texas and put them in the 37 gallon quarantine tank. Wolf fish looked very stressed so I had to do this.

Now in the rocket gar tank I saw this white speck on my black skirt tetras.

Is this ich?

125 rocket gar tank stock:
3 inch dolphin cichild
5 inch Senegal bichir
8 inch fire eel
3 syno petricola catfish
7 inch rocket gar

Side note the wolf fish is doing phenomenal now that it's alone again.

View attachment 1312520 View attachment 1312521

No it doesn't look like ich. Ich would be spread over the fins and body making fish appear like salt was sprinkled on it.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
No it doesn't look like ich. Ich would be spread over the fins and body making fish appear like salt was sprinkled on it.
Ok I'll check the tank once I'm back home today but do you think it could be the start of ich? I've had ich many times before but your right there were several dots. Behavior seems completely normal other than the dot.

Reactions: tlindsey

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I do not see ich in the picture. Ich should show up clearly on the black and I can usually spot it on the transparent fins.

since it came from a non LFS tank it would be fine to dump in with my wolf fish and texas cichlid.
QUOTE="Irecruitfish, post: 7922782, member: 146536"]same day I purchased a rocket gar from the LFS and and put in a 37 quarantine ta[/QUOTE]

Fast forward 6 days and the flowerhorn is bothering my wolf fish so I had no choice but to take the rocket gar and puyit in my other 125 community tank.
3 inch dolphin cichild
5 inch Senegal bichir
8 inch fire eel
3 syno petricola catfish
7 inch rocket gar
hello; I follow the logic you laid out but likely would have gone a different way. After many years and bringing home some problems I am very strict about quarantine.

A fish tank is a fish tank and it does not matter to me if a new fish comes from a LFS or a home tank. Fish in a home tank can have disease or parasites the same as from a LFS.

I generally only have one tank ready as QT (quarantine tank) so am careful to only bring home as many fish as I can keep in that QT. I quarantine for many weeks and just do not get any more new fish until the Q period is over. Hard to do sometimes but to me is better to pass up another new fish than to risk my established stock.

You may get lucky and not have any disease or parasite issues and I hope this will be the case, but you will have to sweat it out for a couple of months now.

I do have the capacity to set up additional QT's as I have some empty tanks gathering dust in the basement. I also keep the sponge bases of a few sponge filter in the back of some HOB filters on my tanks. That way I can set up an additional QT if I ever just cannot stand tp pass up a new fish.

Good luck and lets hope you are disease and parasite free.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Hello; I do not see ich in the picture. Ich should show up clearly on the black and I can usually spot it on the transparent fins.

QUOTE="Irecruitfish, post: 7922782, member: 146536"]same day I purchased a rocket gar from the LFS and and put in a 37 quarantine ta

hello; I follow the logic you laid out but likely would have gone a different way. After many years and bringing home some problems I am very strict about quarantine.

A fish tank is a fish tank and it does not matter to me if a new fish comes from a LFS or a home tank. Fish in a home tank can have disease or parasites the same as from a LFS.

I generally only have one tank ready as QT (quarantine tank) so am careful to only bring home as many fish as I can keep in that QT. I quarantine for many weeks and just do not get any more new fish until the Q period is over. Hard to do sometimes but to me is better to pass up another new fish than to risk my established stock.

You may get lucky and not have any disease or parasite issues and I hope this will be the case, but you will have to sweat it out for a couple of months now.

I do have the capacity to set up additional QT's as I have some empty tanks gathering dust in the basement. I also keep the sponge bases of a few sponge filter in the back of some HOB filters on my tanks. That way I can set up an additional QT if I ever just cannot stand tp pass up a new fish.

Good luck and lets hope you are disease and parasite free.[/QUOTE]
Good advice and lesson learned on my part. My impatience is to blame. I should of never gotten two fish knowing I'd risk so much.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree that it doesn't look like ick, the spot is too large.
Could be fungal, could be bacterial (way worse than ick to me for successful treatment) or viral (which there are no effective meds against)
That said, I agree about quarantine, I keep all new fish separate for at least 2 months. A friend who runs an aquatic exhibit at a major zoo, won't do any less than 6 months.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Could be fungal, could be bacterial (way worse than ick to me for successful treatment) or viral (which there are no effective meds against)
That said, I agree about quarantine, I keep all new fish separate for at least 2 months. A friend who runs an aquatic exhibit at a major zoo, won't do any less than 6 months.
Agreed, I would expect a lot more and smaller spots if it was ich.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
The spots have not spread on the tetra. Should I remove the tetra? Are bacterial infections contagious?

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I would just in case, since it is unknown what type it is right now. Quarantine an observe for a minimum of 2 months.

Reactions: Irecruitfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store