Somerville NJ
Are these a solitary species or can they be kept in groups? thanks

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I have three and thinking about adding some more. What is the best decor for these guys?

Reactions: tlindsey

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Nice man I was gonna grab one of these from wes but grabbed a fimbriated moray instead. Was gonna do both but was worried the fimbriated would eat or bully these guys.

These guys do pretty well in groups from what I've seen. Post some pics man!

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Yea, guilty as charged ;)

I have a bunch of morays in a brackish aquarium and 3 of them are echidna rhodochiluses. View attachment 1315355 View attachment 1315356 They are courteous to each other and never causes trouble.
View attachment 1315357
I haven't been active lately but when wes brought in these guys I decided to get back in the hobby. I've read a lot of your posts about different morays being kept in close to near fw. Some people have straight up told you that you're wrong on some threads (even though these fish are native to your country so how would they know better than you? lmao) but we both know better... ;)

Reactions: tlindsey

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
I haven't been active lately but when wes brought in these guys I decided to get back in the hobby. I've read a lot of your posts about different morays being kept in close to near fw. Some people have straight up told you that you're wrong on some threads (even though these fish are native to your country so how would they know better than you? lmao) but we both know better... ;)
:) heh heh, thank you! Here in our country, we have a saying, "lain lubuk lain ikannya" (different waterhole, different fish). I had an online discussion with a fish expert from WWM long ago, and was informed that morays of same species often has differences depending on population, so, for example, in my country, baby E. Nebulosa does enter brackish rivers and estuaries (though I assume that they will migrate to the open sea as the grow older), while in populations of other countries, it is full marine and will die in less than full seawater.

As for E. Rhodochilus, my fish procurers never encountered them in the open sea (never far from beaches), it's always in the estuaries or even higher up in the river. Same with G. Polyuranodon, in fact they never encountered this fish in the beaches as well. That's why we're keeping them in brackish and fresh. But yes, if necessary they can be acclimatised to full SW. But it will defeat the purpose of owning a BW/FW moray :D

Other moray species also exhibited remarkable adaptative behavior, like this polkadot moray found to be alive and well in England despite being kept in full FW for a long time.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/yellow-spotted-moray-echidna-xanthospilos

So, indeed they have adaptation ability which are higher than we're giving credits for. But again it is all depending on the individual fish, so certainly I am not advising anybody to start plunging their morays to BW or FW anytime soon!

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
:) heh heh, thank you! Here in our country, we have a saying, "lain lubuk lain ikannya" (different waterhole, different fish). I had an online discussion with a fish expert from WWM long ago, and was informed that morays of same species often has differences depending on population, so, for example, in my country, baby E. Nebulosa does enter brackish rivers and estuaries (though I assume that they will migrate to the open sea as the grow older), while in populations of other countries, it is full marine and will die in less than full seawater.

As for E. Rhodochilus, my fish procurers never encountered them in the open sea (never far from beaches), it's always in the estuaries or even higher up in the river. Same with G. Polyuranodon, in fact they never encountered this fish in the beaches as well. That's why we're keeping them in brackish and fresh. But yes, if necessary they can be acclimatised to full SW. But it will defeat the purpose of owning a BW/FW moray :D

Other moray species also exhibited remarkable adaptative behavior, like this polkadot moray found to be alive and well in England despite being kept in full FW for a long time.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/yellow-spotted-moray-echidna-xanthospilos

So, indeed they have adaptation ability which are higher than we're giving credits for. But again it is all depending on the individual fish, so certainly I am not advising anybody to start plunging their morays to BW or FW anytime soon!
Indeed that is a good practice which is what I do I never advise anyone to do such things...

I've done some research with and talked a lot with aquarium curators and a marine biologist professor in I think the southern California area (orange county I believe) a few years ago and there are a lot of marine fish you can buy at your local fish store that can live out their full lives in close to freshwater quite comfortably. Fimbriated morays are one example I've seen in the past on here. Someone said with full confidence that they couldn't even tolerate brackish when I've seen one over 3 feet long and over 7 pounds in 5 ppt which is VERY low salinity most fw aquarium fish can live in. I've personally grown cobia, S&S puffers, dog face puffers, emperor snappers, panther groupers and more in 2-5ppt. At the end of the day I'm not going to go out of my way to talk about it or share it because many people on this forum that do a quick general google search and act like they know everything when they just keep simple cichlids on a small scale and don't really know anything about modern aquaculture. Just thought I'd say that because there were a couple threads where you were completely right and a few people were being ignorant lol...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store