Dead Fish After Water Change - API products

Jughead Jones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
LA
GoGo afternoon, I was hoping I could get some insight on some ongoing complications. I did a large water change resulting in a dead fir eel and algae eater. All my cichlids are super lethargic and stressed except for the one that looked to be in medicated water that i purchased the day of that water change. 3 possible problems: I accidentally triple dosed algaefix which is apparently really dangerous, I sifted the sand but did not see any gases released (maybe I missed it), and I rinsed the sponge filtration and seachem purigen clear but did not touch the biological filtration. Afterwards the water became extremely cloudy. I have since done 2 70% changes. Should I go ahead and dose some mela/pimafix? Will the products work with seachem prime declor? Any thoughts on the causes?

Thanks

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Algaefix is often deadly even at the recommended dosage. Pimafix and Melafix have been known to kill fish but never cure anything. They would just add stress to already stressed fish. Avoid of the -fix products.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Algaefix is often deadly even at the recommended dosage. Pimafix and Melafix have been known to kill fish but never cure anything. They would just add stress to already stressed fish. Avoid of the -fix products.
Agreed, I never use chemicals to control algae

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
+1

Jughead Jones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
LA
Thanks for the insight, noted.

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
I like to use the Algae killer on tanks that have been overrun with the algae. It works great when I double - triple the dosage and sometimes throw the whole bottle in it. BUT NEVER with fish or anything living in it. After the treatment, I rinse and start fresh. Algae is gone and doesn't return quickly. My guess of all the items listed is the Algaefix hurt your fish.

Jughead Jones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
LA
Guess I could post this on lessons learned another time, but yes, 4 water 70% water changes put everything back to normal. Whatever it was (probably algaefix poisoning tbh) is finally gone. A Cichlid, a fire eel, and an algae eater later. The scaleless guys were extremely susceptible to this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store