Canister filter suggestion

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since everyone has had positive attitudes about canisters.
I will state my opposite opinion.
I believe they are no better than HOB filters, in fact I think they are worse, because they are "not" user friendly to clean, and fall apart when regular cleaned, so in general will sit and run for long periods of time, becoming nitrate and pathogenic bacteria factories. (bacteria love gunk, and unless rinsed regularly, they fill with smelly gunk, spewing invisible toxic compounds back in the tank, and which is "not" good for beneficial bacteria
I gave them up years ago for sumps, or back to HOBs because I found there is nothing magic about a pressurized can.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe they are no better than HOB filters, in fact I think they are worse, because they are "not" user friendly to clean, and fall apart when regularly cleaned, so in general will sit and run for long periods of time, becoming nitrate and pathogenic bacteria factories. (bacteria love gunk, and unless rinsed regularly, they fill with smelly gunk, constantly spewing invisible toxic compounds back in the tank, which is "not" good for fish, or beneficial bacteria
I gave them up years ago, opting for sumps, or back to simple HOBs because I found there is nothing magic about a pressurized can.

Reactions: nzafi

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I believe they are no better than HOB filters, in fact I think they are worse, because they are "not" user friendly to clean, and fall apart when regular cleaned, so in general will sit and run for long periods of time, becoming nitrate and pathogenic bacteria factories. (bacteria love gunk, and unless rinsed regularly, they fill with smelly gunk, spewing invisible toxic compounds back in the tank, and which is "not" good for beneficial bacteria
I gave them up years ago for sumps, or back to HOBs because I found there is nothing magic about a pressurized can.
HOB filter usually provide better water oxygenation than canisters. Wet / dry sumps usually provider MUCH better oxygenation than canisters of HOB's.

From a purely functional point of view I agree HOB's are generally better than comparably sized canisters... I just have never cared for the look of a HOB on a display tank. I definitely agree sumps rule all when it comes to filtration!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would like to add that i think canisters work best when packed somewhat sparingly with media. That is to say, don't pack it to the brim with layers of dense fo am but use more ceramic rings, coarse foam, things that aren't gonna stifle your flow as much. Seems like a balancing act between flow and media capacity that gets you optimum efficiency out of em.

That being said i am a fan and user of the hob, specifically the aquaclears. I find most other brands to be useless in comparison.

slipshodman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Australia
I use a canister as i cannot use a sump due to the configuration of my tank stand and i don't have the room at the back of my tank for big enough hobs to deal with a 6x2x2
so part of my decision for the FX6 was physical placement of tank and what would work with that
I have the same situation with my 4x2x2 which has a large canister on it as well
both are display tanks and i use the output from the canister to agitate the water surface so i have no need to have air stones for oxygen exchange, just for visual purposes

I am about to switch over all other non-display tanks to sponges only for filtration

I would state the only downside i have to the FX6 is it has quite a loud hum in comparison to any other canister i have owned

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I use a canister as i cannot use a sump due to the configuration of my tank stand and i don't have the room at the back of my tank for big enough hobs to deal with a 6x2x2
so part of my decision for the FX6 was physical placement of tank and what would work with that
I have the same situation with my 4x2x2 which has a large canister on it as well
both are display tanks and i use the output from the canister to agitate the water surface so i have no need to have air stones for oxygen exchange, just for visual purposes

I am about to switch over all other non-display tanks to sponges only for filtration

I would state the only downside i have to the FX6 is it has quite a loud hum in comparison to any other canister i have owned
Im also starting a sponge related project lol but it will be for a display tank. Going to collect river rocks this weekend to build some disguises for them.

Im also gonna get another length of this stuff as it works great for the lines, if you dont mind fake plants that is.

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-PA1-Plant-Air-Aquarium/dp/B0002565M0

slipshodman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Australia
Im also gonna get another length of this stuff as it works great for the lines, if you dont mind fake plants that is.
Sorry to the OP for going off track a bit

Backfromthedead Backfromthedead - i haven't seen those airline plants before, i googled them but cant see a pic of one in a tank to know what it really looks like, when you set it up please share a pic or two

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
The best canister I have owned is the Rena/filstar xp series. Good flow and very dependable. Cleaning is a breeze

I use to recommend sunsun but a few month ago mine split flooding everything. It would lose siphon a lot to

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store