Advice Needed for Gulper Cat

GulperCat55

Gambusia
May 14, 2018
I have kept a Gulper catfish for a couple months now in my 75 gallon tank. He’s alone in the tank, and the tank was cycled previously (all the parameters are well within acceptable range). When I got him, he was in very bad shape. He was malnourished, pale, breathing rapidly and developed ich within days of receiving him. Over the course of the first month, I was successfully able to treat the ich, get him to eat, and restore his coloration. However, I’ve been unable to fix his rapid breathing. It’s very labored, and his gill palpatations are very extreme. He often swims against the direct outflow of the filter. The dissolved oxygen in the tank should be fine, as I’ve allowed for plenty of water agitation at the surface and even added a large air stone. There isn’t a large bloom in the tank that could be sucking out the oxygen. Despite 40% weekly water changes, I’ve checked for ammonia twice and the results are fine. I’ve read online about gill flukes, mites, and baterial/fungal infections, but I have very little experience with treating gill issues. He isn’t really displaying any other symptoms. I was wondering if anybody has a hunch as to what may be wrong, or additional things I should be looking for. I’d hate for the fish to die after all the progress I’ve made towards restoring him back to health.

Thanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
From what is described I think it may have some deficits despite recovering from prior infections. Hard to say. If it’s eating and acting normal then wouldn’t worry. Not sure what kind of water you have but the fish prefer soft and slight acidic water. Might help to provide some tannins if able. Seem to do better with black water when provided.

GulperCat55

Gambusia
May 14, 2018
I actually brought in several pieces of driftwood to the aquarium, so it should have some tannins. But I’ll make sure to look into the acidity. Thanks!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I actually brought in several pieces of driftwood to the aquarium, so it should have some tannins. But I’ll make sure to look into the acidity. Thanks!
You could also lower the temp a little for better oxygen retention.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store