Perch tank

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
I think people don’t keep walleye because it’s not uncommon at all for them to hit 3ft in length. Awesome tank and idea I’ll be following to watch the progress and to see if captive walleye don’t get as large as the wild. I was pondering a perch tank myself for a while I have a school of jumbos I put in my in laws pond.
Not sure where you got this information but it is not accurate. The United States record for largest Walleye caught in the wild is 35.5" long. So just short of 3 feet long. I fish walleyes a lot and anything over 30" long is considered a trophy fish.

For reference, a 26" long walleye is usually around 9 years old. It would take a long time to grow one of these in your tank to a size that big.

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Not sure where you got this information but it is not accurate. The United States record for largest Walleye caught in the wild is 35.5" long. So just short of 3 feet long. I fish walleyes a lot and anything over 30" long is considered a trophy fish.

For reference, a 26" long walleye is usually around 9 years old. It would take a long time to grow one of these in your tank to a size that big.
So this 36” walleye here is the world record eh...

446F85E3-F446-4F31-85A8-9BE4C000436F.jpeg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016

I have seen several walleye surpass three ft in public aquariums, when they got them
They were less than a foot long.

And again just because it's a bigger than a world record, doesn't mean it's rare or doesn't occur, there are many huge fish that either don't qualify or aren't entered for many reasons.

Reactions: Pond9

DRC

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
That
Yellows are some good looking fish but they were finicky eaters when I had mine.
That’s kind of a surprise. I’ve only had mine for a few weeks, but he eats anything I put in the tank, flakes, floating pellets, sinking pellets, blood worms, meal worms. He seems to prefer eating off the bottom of the tank but he does also feed at the top.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Another update. Went away last week and prior to a heavy feeding prior to leaving the malnourished walleye must of went head first into the glass and went belly up. Netted him quickly and noticed his spine was all jacked up. After a few minutes he was back to swimming like nothing had happened. Returned from vacation and you guessed it I lost that walleye. Other then that the other walleye is readily accepting freeze dried food and looks nice and plump. All perch are doing very well with the largest coming in around 8-9" and some impressive girth. Tank has been hanging around 68-70 degrees. I have removed the live plants I had planted due to the fish constant up rooting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store